Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any Ice fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Ice fishing?

Is there any ice fishing going on in Neb.?
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are doing some fishing now through the ice. I may be going out and trying it before long myself. Waiting on spring to get here is to long away. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of fishing going on, but ice is iffy. Ice seems to be safe North of I-80 from North Platte to Lincoln. I know ice around North Platte west maybe unsafe. Heard reports around the Chadron area were ok. I'm from Grand Island and we have 4.5"+. South of I-80 is probably unsafe?
    Is there any in KS?
    I've personally been out since the 6th and it's been good fishing, but a person really has to watch the ice and take your time. Of course, the further a person goes North, the better the ice.
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

P4P, Good to hear from ya. No, our lakes have just skimmed over- no boat or bank fishing. Just a lot of posting- wanting and waiting. I've told all my fish stories twice and needing to make some more. I've heard Harlan Co. has some pretty good crappie fishing. I keep thinking yellow perch and I've never caught one, might have to do some traveling. Oh yea, those big gill pics aren't helping me either, I might have to broaden my horizons. What have you been catching?

Post Thanks / Like

crappiedoc,

Had some early outings on our sandhills lakes for perch and gills. Now I've moved to our reservoirs for crappie. I don't mind chasing eyes once in a while too. Most the guys I fish with enjoy walleye fishing over the panfish species so I kinda gotta give. Also, I've fished our interstate lakes and city ponds alot at night after work, just cause there close.
    I would have to say your comment about Harlan Co. would be true for alot of our reservoirs. With higher water levels the last couple years it has made the fishing maybe a little trickier, but has created some wonderful habitat for future panfish success.
    I make mention about how good the fishing is here in NE, but I still enjoy getting on the ice in KS. I'm even planning a trip in Feb./open water to Melvern. You KS guys are lucky to have so many trophy crappie fisheries.
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

P4P, our western lakes share the same fate as many of yours. You know the new addage, Waters for making alcohol. Anyway, my favorites are just south of the border for you, and they're priming right up. I haven't made it past Glen yet. Never caught any perch and we were discussing that last night, might have to make a road trip to find some hard water. If your down sometime maybe we could hook up. Kirwin, Webster, and G-Elder are my favorites, with Wilson down the stretch gnawing my innards. Send me a PM, fishaholic willing to travel.

Post Thanks / Like

They are catching some crappie at Harlan but they are running about 9" or smaller. The lake needs a couple more years and it will be back to where it was before the drought! Ice is pretty iffy from the guys I know who have been down. I have only been up 2 Sherman once and all we caught up there was little crappies with 1 keeper mixed in. I have been on the ice around kearney a few times. Caught some northerns, bass, small crappies, and a few BIG bluegills.

I myself am waiting for safe ice down south. I love going 2 Kirwin and Norton. I hope the fishing comes back to where it was back in the late 90's. The walleye fishing was next 2 none @ Kirwin!!! We also have some private ponds around Russell that have some huge hybrid gills in them.
    HuskerLand is the name, custom jigs are the game!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

walleye4

FYI KDWP indicate on Glen Elder's fishing report that as of 3rd the ice west of the causeway is safe. I know this is a large distance to Kirwin or Norton, but I thought I would pass this along. Friends back home have safe ice (no atvs) on Red Willow, so maybe your in luck.
    I will be heading south of the boarder no later than Sat. and will post ice conditions.

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't try no ice this weekend down south! Wilson is opening back up and I bet the ice got bad at the Glen also. I was fishing on 6-8" last Sunday and I drove by there today and it was open in 1 area I fished. They got alot warmer 2 the south than what we got up to today and they are going to be back in the 50's near 60 tomorrow!

Good Luck and STAY SAFE!!!!
    HuskerLand is the name, custom jigs are the game!

Greg