Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider Rigging For Cats

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spider Rigging For Cats

Anyone ever try spider rigging for catfish? Been talking with some buddies about it and we're gonna try this spring. Drifting over flats for Blues and Channels should be productive i would think. Any suggestions...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie company USA in Dexter Mo. has catfish rigs, they are the same as the crappie rigs just bigger weights and hooks. They should be good for trying it.
    Good luck
    post and let us know if you do any good.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any other way to catch cats from a boat? We have always targeted cats with a lot of rods using the wind, current, or motor to drift/troll for 'em.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I have done this for a couple of years. Instead of waiting for them to come to you go after them. Friend and I boated several nice cats last summer drift fishing. It is becoming a very popular way for fishing those wishers. Try it. Good luck.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hep Me?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumpers
    Is there any other way to catch cats from a boat? We have always targeted cats with a lot of rods using the wind, current, or motor to drift/troll for 'em.
    Come on, stumpbumpers don't leave me hangin. Elaborate, elaborate hehe. Seriously though, how do you set up, bait,and such. Any help from you guys that have fished this way would be welcomed...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

izzy I've fished for cats like this many times.fresh cut shad caught from the place you are going to fish works the best for me.we set up in current or wind sound kinda craze but i prefure a nice breeze.boat side ways one man to control the drift.poles out one side.a good drift stik type sinker or bell.preferd over sand or mud flats.a good break away test leader is a must for hang ups on the sinker.12-14in up come off with a 2ft lead with bait.a good three way swival in this junction helps keep line twist to a minamal........
    any ways thats how we rig it works great...

good luck.....\
    p.s in spring you might wanna target deep river channels and go on current.use depth finder to keep you in the zone witch i have found eather one side of channel or the other not the direct bottom of channel works best for me.....let me no how it pans out
    easy,easy set the hook:)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bobber, what started this all was that every year in May there's around 20 guys go to Truman for 3 days. Every year while drifting this big flat for crappie we allways pick up a few cats, so we thought we would spend some time with cut or live bait just for them. I've used the setup you descibed tightlining in rivers, but i've never tried this style of catfishin. Again thanks for the help and i'll give it a go...izzy
    Last edited by izzysfishin; 02-17-2006 at 10:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Izzy I'll elaborate. I will say that my favorite bait is cut mullet. Now I know a lot of guys aren't around the coast, but that is my favorite. Also cut herring or live, live bream or other panfish work well. Ok my setup usually consist of 30-80lbs, 6-10ft rods with 30-50lbs line. And one friend. I setup from front to back with the longest poles off the rear and front. Shorter poles span the middle. I have drift master rod holders with a modified bracket that is removeable or adjustable. I will usually cast one of the large rods, on the end of the boat, out with live bait and a large live bait float(towards the bank). I either use the current to drift sideways or mount a transom mount trolling motor on the side(near the rear, it controls the boat better, pulling near the large motor). I usually use multiple baits until I find the right one. Something I need to mention is the reel setup. They are anywhere from Abu 5500 to Flueger 90 saltwater. I have a variety. I don't use anything without a clicker for this set up. I adjust all lines and wait for the tell tell, click, click... pause click, click, click... pause cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccckkkk... Turn off clicker, lock spool, set the hook. I also use circle hooks only, the bigger the better. My rigs are the same type rigs I saltwater fish with. It is a carolina rig. It is made up with 1-2oz egg sinkers put directly on the line, then I add a 2ft leader of at least 90lbs coated steel. Now I make my own, but you can buy them. Then I add the hook. Before I put mine on I usually double the line the length of the pole, but it isn't neccessary and it would take to much explanning. Now, I use the same setup off the front of the boat also. It depends on the water I'm fishing and the coverage I want. I could go on a lot about my techniques, but this is plenty to get you moving. Now back to crappie. You can PM me and I'll help the best I can.
    Last edited by stumpbumpers; 02-17-2006 at 05:15 PM.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks stumpbumpers, man you must hang in to some bigguns. I don't have that much heavy equipment. Got a couple pool cue snagging rods and a few heavy action Ugly Stiks that will have to do. Got to get some rod holders first, the rest will have to wait. We will give em a go in May...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a version of spider rigging similar to Stumpbumpers. 2 oz egg weight on bottom with 3 way swivel about 2-3 feet up. I agree that cut bait seems to work best but have also had decent success on worms- just depends on the water I'm fishing. Its a real blast when the fish are biting good.:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast