Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trolling, spider rigging speed

Post Thanks / Like

Question trolling, spider rigging speed

what speed do you troll jigs at and spider rig,i see pic in the magazines and there line are verticle but they dont look like that when i do it. i run with 2 jigs per line with 1/4 once drop wieght at the bottom but the slowest i can troll is .9 - 1. mph by my gps. am i going to fast or need more wieght

Post Thanks / Like

Dead slow here, at least for now. We havent caught any fish when the line is angled backward while trolling yet this year.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post crappieday

What Pound Test Line Are You Using ?--the Heavier The Line The More Weight You,ll Need
    With Jigs Or Minnows I Very Seldom Go Over .4-.6
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Crappieday,

That sounds a little fast to me for spiderrigging. I don't think you should have over a 20 degree angle where your line enters the water. I sometimes troll with styrofoam slip floats on shallow flats and if you troll to fast your line will pull up thru the floats.

I have a variable speed on my trolling motor and this allows me to run my motor a lot slower than the #1 speed. I've never noticed on my GPS what speed I run when spiderrigging but I would guess it's around .3 to .5 mph.

By the way when I am tightlining minnow or a jig/minnow combination while spiderrigging a 1/4 oz. pinch on lead is what I use.I place the lead about 12 inches above the jig or hook.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

i use 4-6 pound line but dont have a variable speed motor, on number 1 its at or just below 1 mph, i,ll probably have to get a drift sock to pull in order to slow me down

Post Thanks / Like

For the people using older style motors you can buy a box that converts a 12 or 24 volt motor to variable speed. They are called a moto-max. If my trolling motor wasn't variable speed I would have one of these. WWW.Vexilar.Com TO SEE THIS PRODUCT.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is the old "Maximizer" made by Minn-Kota many years ago. After they had been out of production about 10 years I called Minn-Kota to see if they possibly knew where I could find an old one.

The lady said " You know, I think we have one brand new one left in the warehouse that had been returned as a store credit." Been there for several years.

They sold for $100 at Bass Pro back in the early 90's and she sold me this brand new one, the last one ever sold by Minn-Kota, for $60!!!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

the vexilar moto-max looks like the perfect solution, i have a endura 40 pound i bought last year that works great for me, i can move it to the front where it is most of the time or to the back

thanks for the info.

tight lines everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Winter time spider rigging. So slow you think you will need to shave as time stands still.
    Fish like to have the bait in front of them for a little while before hitting.
    I drag a anchor to keep me still in the water. then only pull the boat foward 3 to 5 ft and stop agian.
    PEte

Post Thanks / Like

do you target deep or shallow water for spider rigging, i have been in 7 - 17 feet but no signs of crappie yet, water today was 46

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast