Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lost padlock for trailor....again! (any suggestions)?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost padlock for trailor....again! (any suggestions)?

Went out this morning to get the boat ready to go fishin and noticed my padlock for the trailer was missing....again. This is the third time I've lost my lock. I probably laid the lock on my truck bumper again while unhooking the trailer and drove off and lost it. I know I'm gettin old and forgetful, but you'd think I would've learned my lesson by now. Has anybody else had this problem and figured out a way to attach the lock to the trailer with a zip tie or something? Just looking for some suggestions. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Post Thanks / Like

I always have mine locked up. When I go unlock hook up boat lock back. When done unhook unlock boat lock back up park truck. Then clean fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Connect a piece of wire or even string to the lock and the other end to the trailer. That way it will always be with the trailer.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

I put a little pice of cable on it to hold it there so when I forget to put it on it just falls down and hangs there.

Post Thanks / Like

I always lay mine inside the boat......try and break the habit of laying anything on the bumper
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

I take the safety chains off first & wrap chains around trailer tongue then unlock the lock & hook the lock in the safety chains & lock back. Jim C.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by indianachinker View Post
    I always have mine locked up. When I go unlock hook up boat lock back. When done unhook unlock boat lock back up park truck. Then clean fish.
    Thats what I do.... It acts as a safety to keep your hitch from possibly unlatching while going down the road. That way your trailer is locked to the truck while its parked at the boat ramp parking lot.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinRod View Post
    I always lay mine inside the boat......try and break the habit of laying anything on the bumper
    Ditto! My trailer stays locked in the shed and when I hitch up or unhook I remove the lock and lay it on the front deck of the boat. I finally got out of the habit of laying ANYTHING on the bumper because I WILL forget!:D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

a small cable lanyard with a hole just large enough for the lock to pass through and attach the other end to one of the links on your safety chain should work ok. something like this, UMX 1 mm Diameter Stainless Steel Wire Leashes / Lanyards with 1, 2 and 3 Loops
    obviously you don't need a very large diameter cable to hold a padlock.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a friend that had his Hydro Sport stolen out of his driveway after they cut the lock and left it on the ground. Ever since then I lock my hitch, on or off the tow vehicle. At least they would have to work on getting it down the road. Small locks with a hidden hasp do a pretty good job, and they're not too expensive.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around