PDA

View Full Version : New study says fried fish may lead to higher stroke rates in Alabama

D Braswell
12-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I can't live without fried fish. This says I can't live with it either.

Fried fish may be a reason Alabama higher in stroke deaths, UAB-led study says | al.com (http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/12/fried_fish_may_be_a_reason_ala.html)

gabowman
12-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Well Heck! That aint good.:( I've eat fried fish all my life. Guess I better take their word for it and quit eating fried fish 2 or more times per week.:rolleyes: Naaaa...usually we eat 'em once every week or two so maybe I'm safe.:o

the crappie soldier
12-22-2010, 08:24 PM
That aint good. Glad I don't live in Alabama............:) Sorry, I couldnt resist. But it still aint good.

feelay
12-22-2010, 08:28 PM
It's got to be the fried catfish that is killing folks!

Fatman
12-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm sure not gonna worry about it,. Used to be eggs were good for you, now their bad. So what you eat a few fried fish, breathing the air with all the chit in it is probably gonna kill us all anyway so I'm not gonna worry about fried fish.

critter
12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
well you gotta die from something.....cant think of anything much better than that.

jaxsprat
12-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Guess I won't be going to Alabama to eat my fried fish...:D

MDCrappie
12-23-2010, 02:27 AM
well you gotta die from something.....cant think of anything much better than that.

Well I can think of at least one thing better :D........ but just remember that from the minute you are born you begin to die.

Live every day like it's your last......cause it just might be

smoothlures
12-23-2010, 03:31 AM
And they got paid to do that study???

TDHcrappiemaster
12-23-2010, 07:33 AM
It has nothing to do with the cigarette's they all smoke..... It's got to be the fish!

I love studies like this one because you know in another year or so they will be pushing everyone to eat more fried fish for one reason or another.

MePreach
12-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Yall come on down here and I will fry yall up a Big Ol mess of Bama Coosa Crappie...you can just eat until you got grease drippin from your chin!

DRPEPPER
12-23-2010, 10:32 AM
It sez Arkansas is in the stroke belt too. Yall need to keep these infested fish in Alabama and quit messing ours up.
DP

BigMack
12-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Welp, I wuz too slow on the draw for all the easy smart remarks.
:rolleyes:
We watch that cookin' show "Good Eats" and Alton Brown sez if you fry stuff at the proper temp (365deg)
Then drain on a metal rack instead of directly on paper towels.
The towels let the oil go back into the crust.
I get HONGREY when y'all post those kinda pics so here:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o163/BigMack1618/2009-05-31McFish004-s.jpg
The oil don't seem to hurt these dadgum skeeters we got out here.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o163/BigMack1618/2009-05-31McFish002-s.jpg
:D

wilbur
12-23-2010, 07:32 PM
I think i will be a good samaritin. All you ALABAMA crappie fishermen can send your fish up here ( filet of course ) and i will dispose of them properly. Always here to help. P.S. wouldnt mind a little cornbread also.

barus243
12-23-2010, 08:25 PM
This reminds me of our running joke at work in the lab. If you read the MSDS for products you will find that washed sand is more hazardous than arsenic. Sadly I'm not kidding. I figure that something is going to get me I guess fried fish wouldn't be that bad of a way to go.

prefers shiners
12-23-2010, 08:52 PM
I am almost 73 and if you think I am going to stop now.......pass the fish please....and the hushpuppies....and the sweet tater fries.....nuf said....

Bayoucrappie
12-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Any thing consumed in excess will probably hurt you, old news. Thing that bothers me is these experts want us to graze on tofu and bean sprouts, and they ENJOY telling me this. Excercise, live long and prove them wrong...
Good fishing and Merry Christmas
Gary D.

mduncan62
12-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Buy some blackened seasoning, dip the fillets in butter or olive O, and season. Fry on med-high heat 1 or 2 minutes per side until it flakes. You'll love it. My family would eat it that way every day if I'd cook it.
There's some baked recipes that are awesome too! I smoke, drink, work out, fish, and eat fish. Just live in such a way that you don't feel like you are missing anything. Enjoy the things you want to, as much as possible. Fried fish probably has less odds of killing you then a car crash.

Captain Dan
12-24-2010, 05:37 AM
I survived a stroke 6 years ago. When I left the rehab hospital after a 4 month stay the dietition basically said if it taste good spit it out.
But my doctor told me that if I had been taking a 81 milligram aspirin daily I would not have had the stroke.
I tell my friends to take 1 baby aspirin a day to keep from stoking out.

So my idea is to take 2 baby aspirins on the days I eat fried crappie. What do you guys think of my idea?

STUMP HUNTER
12-24-2010, 06:52 AM
From the pics I have seen on this thread the fish is safe, it's them "skeeters" that will kill you!!:eek::eek::D

Team M&M
12-24-2010, 10:34 AM
You dont think it could be the fried taters and hushpuppies we eat with the fish instead? Or maybe it's the fact that we just fry everything down here, like meatpies, cheesesticks, pork chops, etc. Not too mention in all the states listed we eat a lot of gravy on taters, biscuits, rice, etc.

I don't see how they can narrow it down to just fried fish when half of what I seem to eat is fried and I'm bombarded with fried foods on every corner. I lived in Chicago for 4 years and up there they have fried foods but the deep frying is definantly less than half of what it is in Louisiana. We even fry our turkeys, and now frying whole chickens is becomming popular and fried corn on the cob, etc.

We are infectious though, I saw where fried turkey was being served all the way up in new york and crawfish is now being shipped nation wide from Louisiana where just 10 years ago 80% of all the crawfish harvested was eaten here alone.