Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Ted

Let's talk about pouring plastic's,i have been thinking about getting into it but know nothing about it.What type of plastic's,mold's,scent's etc do you use?
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I have purchased most of my stuff from www.lurecraft.com and I just bought some plastic from www.del-mart.com. Its not a cheap at first, the only down fall to the whole plastic thing is pouring crappie baits are tough. There are some fumes from the plastic cooking, also you are working with plastic at 350 degrees so burns can happen. I thought they would be easy to make but its not at first, but over time it does get easier. I had a guy make 2 aluminum molds for me so far. These are to make the hard head tubes, like the ones from the place at truman. I havent had much time to play with them. Even though I already have request for some baits. What kind of baits are you wanting to pour??? Just remember most molds are a one piece, meaning that one side will be flat, a two piece mold will give you a round bait, but cost alot of money for one. You can make your own molds out of plaster of paris or fiberglass resin. There are hours of reading to be done on the tackleunderground let me know what else you want to know. Looks like its going to be a good weekend for me to pour. I dont mind fishing in the cold but I sure hate fighting ice on the guides.

Check out the following places for how to pour plastics.
    www.tackleunderground.com then look at the soft plastic form.
    http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/web...ge_ID=59&DID=6
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thank's ted i'll check those site's out.I was thinking of pouring something similar to the bass assassin or tubes.I think cajun and i are gonna hit some dock's sat and the way it sound's we will be fighting the ice but with this cold spell the big fish should be stacked under them big time,at least i hope so.I went for a while today and my biggest fish was a shade over 12 and it's gut was about to bust so i weighed it when i got home and it weighed an even 1 lb the fish was not that big by any means but i was impressed with the weight,with them feeding up like that there should be a few more 1 1/2 and 2 lb fish caught this year.How are the weight's up the osage?

www.simplycrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Spent a few hours today reading the tutorials, very informative. They are very good sites. Thanks Ted, from me also...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Default scale

get your finger offa the scale next time.................

Post Thanks / Like

Tubes can be made 2 ways by dipping with a aluminum rod into the plastic. Or making a 2 piece aluminim mold. You have to dip several times to get the colors and thickness you want. Pouring the bass assasssin with the stinger tail would be tough, you might be able to make a 2 piece mold, but I would not guarentee that you will get the plastic to flow into the tail. And with the cost of tubes you cant pour them yourself and save money. Only pour the ones you cant buy. I have tried pouring bait simular of the bobby garland baby shads and they are tough with that small tail. I dont care how steady your hand is it still shakes. If you got any other questions let me know guys.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

If my finger was on the scale i would have said 1 1/4 lb ha ha.I really was'nt wanting to get into it to save money but i thought it would be neat to catch fish on jig's i made.

www.simplycrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well it is fun to catch them on your own stuff, so dont let me discourage you in doing it. Just remember dont spend alot of money up front. And if you find out its not for you just put it on ebay and sell it off.
    Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Well boys, just curious if you took the plunge yet? I will try to get my hands on a digital camera and post some pics of what I have poured.
    Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Not yet i need some insperation,send pic's.

www.simplycrappie.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast