Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio crappie spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Ohio crappie spawn

Hi, fellow ohio anglers.
    Last year was a werid spawn for me. The places i was used to getting them at they were not there. Later i compared notes of conditions from years past. Water levels were 3ft lower than normal pool for spring. Had a effect on the fish. Only sucess i had was in 2ft in the very upper section of the lake i fish. Never even fished this area before. Got there a tad late only males were up shallow, very few females. This year i be on those waters sooner

So i would say last week of april first 3 weeks of may. Somewhere in there spawn will start. It was a quick one last year as well. Got hot very fast late spring. The fish were shallow one day, and gone the next. What month do the crappie spawn on your home waters in ohio?

Post Thanks / Like

I am expecting it to be a little early this year considering the mild winter. The water should warm to the 50 degree mark by- hum- April 6
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ditto here

Normally, we're iced up all winter and this year it has only been off and on . Even with this weekend's predicted lows, the water shouldn't cool off for too long. I'm betting mid to late April for spawn temperature of 65, but prespawn feeding ought to get going pretty early. .

Of course last year, we had snow on April 23, so things may get bolluxed up yet again. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohio weather

U hit the nail on the head about the weather in ohio. I can recall last april we had snow around the first week, and it set back everything 2 weeks. I just hope this spring it gets warm, and stays warm without the snow blowing in out of no where. Like last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawning run?

Wanted to give this a bump because i have another question for ohio. Years back crappie had a run in creeks i fished. If u have ever fished a whitebass run, it was close to that. Every cast u would get a fish. Because of lower water levels they stopped running in the creek. I check the water levels the night before i fish. That helps me to determine where to fish in spring. Higher waters are best.

Is there another creek, river where crappie have a spawning run in ohio? I still get them just not as many but... the sizes have improved Its almost march, getting close to spring slab time!!!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default woo! woo!

Quote Originally Posted by bttmline
    I am expecting it to be a little early this year considering the mild winter. The water should warm to the 50 degree mark by- hum- April 6

oooh! crappie fishing on my birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Area creeks that have crappie

We're getting a canoe this year so we can go after some of these fish we've heard about, plus the nice smallies that live there. The Stillwater River between Ludlow Falls, OH and Dayton has some great holes, especially a large deep pool above the dam at West Milton. Beware of the dams as you go down the river. Ditto on Twin Creek between Manning Road and the Germantown Dam.
    We have had success in Buck Creek below the spillway at CJ Brown Res (Buck Creek State Park) . The bonus there is you might hit a few walleyes.
    We've tried Four Mile Creek above and below Acton Lake and only found dinks. That doesn't mean they aren't there. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta
    I also have a Stillwater, But it's Stillwater Creek though a very large creek. It dumps into the Tuscarawas River. Both are very good for saugeye and crappie.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bump

Time has rolled on past and on my home waters the spawn is still in pre spawn. I only have caught a few females that had eggs most of the crappie have been males. When do u think the spawn will start this year.? Iam guessing 2-3 weeks should hit. What do u think??

Post Thanks / Like

From what I read in the fishing reports in the paper, some lakes like Indian Lake, are pretty close since fish are being caught in shallow water. Everywhere else has them scattered, which is what we've found. The few crappie we've caught have been good size, though.
    This cooler stretch of weather and rain will keep the water from warming up as fast as it might otherwise. Gotta be close. - Roberta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast