Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This deep water crappie rig does work

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This deep water crappie rig does work

Here is a modified Carolina Rig for Deep Water Crappies. Fish it anywhere there is deep water crappies, or shellcrackers and you want to fish 8 inches to 3 feet off the bottom. For Shellcrackers just substitute a hook for the jig. The underwater float provides all the movement of the jig or hook that is needed.

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like it would work.I have 1 question though, the fish would have to move the weight for you to feel the bite at the pole. Or is the float above water?. How big is the weight?

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

not sure about the rigging you use. what are the plus minus aspects of the rig, we are using just a double jig rig, drop to bottom reel up a couple turns, and we are flat catching them fish and in 35 to 40 ft of water. really

Post Thanks / Like

Tear drop sinker on bottom of line and two jigs 12 inches apart above. I don't know where you come up with these ideas on deep water fishing shipahoy 41. But it looks like you should go back two the drawing board. Beagle man has it right. I fish in 50 and 70 foot of water with my method.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a basic Carolina Rig. You fish it tightline style. When a crappie bites it does not feel resistance but because you have it tightline style you feel the bite and set the hook. Yes the float is underwater. I set mine about 8 inches above the jig or hook. I use the smallest one possible that will keep the jig or hook off the bottom at a specific depth. It also gives it a little more movement than the other deep water drop shot rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    not sure about the rigging you use. what are the plus minus aspects of the rig, we are using just a double jig rig, drop to bottom reel up a couple turns, and we are flat catching them fish and in 35 to 40 ft of water. really
    I agree with your double rig idea for boat fishing. A lot of people who are shore bound use techniques similar to this to reach deeper water. They can cast this setup almost twice as far as a regular slip bobber rig from shore. If I was in a boat I would be using your method....... But I am shore bound now.

As far as where I get my ideas I saw this on a fishing show last week and the guys from shore were just tearing up crappies in 15 feet. Just thought I would share something I had not seen before. Now having said that, this is just another alternative for bank fishing. If you believe then no proof is necessary. If you do not believe then no proof will be sufficient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    That looks like it would work.I have 1 question though, the fish would have to move the weight for you to feel the bite at the pole. Or is the float above water?. How big is the weight?
    Slip weight. Line goes through sinker. Sinker sits on the lake bottom. Fish do not feel the sinker until after the hook is set.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh.....thats what I thought....its a bank fishing rig. OK....looks like it will work.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Yep mostly for bank fishing David. If I had a boat like you in Mississippi I would fish the standard deep water bell sinker rig. Perhaps I can get down there next summer. Take care.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Grand-Pa Bob's Crappie Jigs has some floating jig heads that would be good for that....you would not need the float. Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast