PDA

View Full Version : This deep water crappie rig does work

shipahoy41
12-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Here is a modified Carolina Rig for Deep Water Crappies. Fish it anywhere there is deep water crappies, or shellcrackers and you want to fish 8 inches to 3 feet off the bottom. For Shellcrackers just substitute a hook for the jig. The underwater float provides all the movement of the jig or hook that is needed.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/MyCarolinaRig.jpg

wilbur
12-20-2010, 06:12 PM
That looks like it would work.I have 1 question though, the fish would have to move the weight for you to feel the bite at the pole. Or is the float above water?. How big is the weight?

beagle man
12-20-2010, 06:19 PM
not sure about the rigging you use. what are the plus minus aspects of the rig, we are using just a double jig rig, drop to bottom reel up a couple turns, and we are flat catching them fish and in 35 to 40 ft of water. really

Ken Jones
12-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Tear drop sinker on bottom of line and two jigs 12 inches apart above. I don't know where you come up with these ideas on deep water fishing shipahoy 41. But it looks like you should go back two the drawing board. Beagle man has it right. I fish in 50 and 70 foot of water with my method.

shipahoy41
12-20-2010, 06:35 PM
It is a basic Carolina Rig. You fish it tightline style. When a crappie bites it does not feel resistance but because you have it tightline style you feel the bite and set the hook. Yes the float is underwater. I set mine about 8 inches above the jig or hook. I use the smallest one possible that will keep the jig or hook off the bottom at a specific depth. It also gives it a little more movement than the other deep water drop shot rig.

shipahoy41
12-20-2010, 06:44 PM
not sure about the rigging you use. what are the plus minus aspects of the rig, we are using just a double jig rig, drop to bottom reel up a couple turns, and we are flat catching them fish and in 35 to 40 ft of water. really

I agree with your double rig idea for boat fishing. A lot of people who are shore bound use techniques similar to this to reach deeper water. They can cast this setup almost twice as far as a regular slip bobber rig from shore. If I was in a boat I would be using your method....... But I am shore bound now.

As far as where I get my ideas I saw this on a fishing show last week and the guys from shore were just tearing up crappies in 15 feet. Just thought I would share something I had not seen before. Now having said that, this is just another alternative for bank fishing. If you believe then no proof is necessary. If you do not believe then no proof will be sufficient.

shipahoy41
12-20-2010, 06:47 PM
That looks like it would work.I have 1 question though, the fish would have to move the weight for you to feel the bite at the pole. Or is the float above water?. How big is the weight?

Slip weight. Line goes through sinker. Sinker sits on the lake bottom. Fish do not feel the sinker until after the hook is set.

"G"
12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Oh.....thats what I thought....its a bank fishing rig. OK....looks like it will work.

shipahoy41
12-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Yep mostly for bank fishing David. If I had a boat like you in Mississippi I would fish the standard deep water bell sinker rig. Perhaps I can get down there next summer. Take care.

"G"
12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Grand-Pa Bob's Crappie Jigs has some floating jig heads that would be good for that....you would not need the float. Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs (http://www.grandpabobscustomjigs.com)

Dwaynesworld
12-20-2010, 07:12 PM
being a bank stomper myself, as soon as ice melts, I am going and try this. Thanks for post

BigMack
12-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Hey Shipahoy,
Thanks for sharing a good rig.
My family used to run those rigs and we had great success with it.
and hey, let's see, I think you said:
"I am old fashioned and believe less hardware is always better"
last month when I showed my upgrade to the Kentucky rig.
:D

shipahoy41
12-21-2010, 09:42 AM
thanks

shipahoy41
12-21-2010, 09:46 AM
I remember my friend. Thank you for bringing a smile to my face. Humble pie is always good. Merry Christmas to you. I am glad your family used to run the same type rig. This is a small world. I have also used the same variation on the Carolina rig with tiny floaters as well. The main thing was keeping the bait about three feet off the bottom.

Here is another one I use a lot.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/deeprig.jpg

Kman
12-21-2010, 03:27 PM
" If you believe then no proof is necessary. If you do not believe then no proof will be sufficient. "

Thats a good one ship, Im' gonna use that one from time to time if you dont mind! LOL!

shipahoy41
12-21-2010, 04:19 PM
" If you believe then no proof is necessary. If you do not believe then no proof will be sufficient. "

Thats a good one ship, Im' gonna use that one from time to time if you dont mind! LOL!

No problem. LOL. That is what I would tell my children when they would dare question me.

Ken Jones
12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
I finnally got the idea shipahoy 41. it just might work. Theres times that you never feel a bit at deep depths. Just a different resistance while jigging and jerk and fish on. How can you feel that different resistance with a float under water?

chaunc
12-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Here is a modified Carolina Rig for Deep Water Crappies. Fish it anywhere there is deep water crappies, or shellcrackers and you want to fish 8 inches to 3 feet off the bottom. For Shellcrackers just substitute a hook for the jig. The underwater float provides all the movement of the jig or hook that is needed.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/MyCarolinaRig.jpg

Ship, i know you mean well with this setup but thats a lot of equipment to replace after every cast as it'll snag quite fast and often while shore fishing. Might work great on a sandy bottom but not where i fish here in these stumps and rocky bottoms. Where were those guys fishing that were using it when you saw them on tv?

shipahoy41
12-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Ship, i know you mean well with this setup but thats a lot of equipment to replace after every cast as it'll snag quite fast and often while shore fishing. Might work great on a sandy bottom but not where i fish here in these stumps and rocky bottoms. Where were those guys fishing that were using it when you saw them on tv?

Actually Chaunc they were casting under a bridge from shore at Guntersville. I found it interesting and shared it. Honestly I personally will still probably use the 2nd tightline drawing with the dropper jig mostly. This old dog is not too old to trynew tricks and that is why I shared it. Basically it appears to be a Carolina rig and instead of a floating jig they were using a jig and float.

What do you know about Uncle Buck's crappie rods Chaunc? BPS is having a sale on them for $12.99 and I reposted the thread on them to see who is still using them. Does B-n-M still manufacture them? What do you know?

shipahoy41
12-22-2010, 08:58 PM
I finnally got the idea shipahoy 41. it just might work. Theres times that you never feel a bit at deep depths. Just a different resistance while jigging and jerk and fish on. How can you feel that different resistance with a float under water?

Ken they were keeping a finger on the line and felt the pull bite when the fish nabbed it. The fish does not feel the slip sinker as there was no resistance to the fish.

shipahoy41
12-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I remember my friend. Thank you for bringing a smile to my face. Humble pie is always good. Merry Christmas to you. I am glad your family used to run the same type rig. This is a small world. I have also used the same variation on the Carolina rig with tiny floaters as well. The main thing was keeping the bait about three feet off the bottom.

Here is another one I use a lot.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/deeprig.jpg

Hey Chaunc this is what I meant. This is my primary "Go to" deep water setup from shore. It is just nice to have other options too.

chaunc
12-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Not a fan of bucks jig poles but i do like the richard williams rod. Broke way too many bgjp's so i went to the wally marshall rods. Not knocking b&m. Just prefer the WM.

beagle man
12-23-2010, 09:35 AM
gotcha did not pay enough attention, and did not catch the bank fishing part. should work just fine, I will pass it along to the bank guys.

BigMack
12-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Not trying to steal your thunder Ship, just thought someone might want to see my modifications to the drop shot method.
Although I use it for straight lining from a boat I know it would work from shore as well.
We used to use the original method for cats way back when from shore.
The replacable leaders sure help after you've broken off and the braid will usually get the main setup back to you so less time re-rigging.
Be sure to use a stick to pull on the braid or it will cut you clear to the bone.
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/153969-bigmacks-drop-shot-system.html

shipahoy41
12-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Not trying to steal your thunder Ship, just thought someone might want to see my modifications to the drop shot method.

Be sure to use a stick to pull on the braid or it will cut you clear to the bone.
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/153969-bigmacks-drop-shot-system.html

You did not steal my thunder Mack. This old dog is always looking for a few more tricks. That modified drop shot method looks like it will work too. Gonna rig a pole and try that too. Thanks. I hope others will post what they use from the bank too. By the way I have learned a lot from watching Ernest Paty videos too.

BigMack
12-23-2010, 09:27 PM
By the way I have learned a lot from watching Ernest Paty videos too.
Hey, if you enjoyed "Crappie 101" you should join CAT just to watch our seminars from the last 2 years.
I am lucky to be in the right area at the right time to attend these.
I bugged them enough the 1st year to film (ok Video-I'm tryin' to keep up) this knowledge and they actually listened.
I'm not after anyone's money, nor is the club trying to get new members, heck we got over 300 last I saw.
I'm just sayin' there's enough shared knowledge here
to make a movie and improve anyones ability to catch crappie.