Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Braided line on Trigger Spin reels

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Braided line on Trigger Spin reels

Has anyone ever tried Braid on a trigger spin. I've been using trigger spins for many years and have always used mono with them. I started using braid about a year ago but only on my baitcaster reels. In my opion the braid is much more sensitive so, today I spooled two trigger spins with 6# braid. I'm anxious to get out tomorrow and see the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

What I have learned using braid on spining reels is if you dont close your bail by hand a loop will develop and you will get what they call wind knots. And to help more with the "wind knots" make sure the line stays packed tight on the spool, a tug every few cast will keep it tight. There is a learning curve. When spiderwire came out we got so many knots the first hour we just replaced with mono the newer braids are a little more rigid. I found with baitcasting a profesional overrun( AKA birdsnest) can get very deep into the spool. I hope this helps being my first post This forum is active and will help me get back into freshwater Specks in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

It won't work on most trigger spins. Line is to limber and the pickup pin does not catch all the time.The braid will destroy the non titanium pins and parts in most underspins. I saw one advertised with a roller pin somewhere just for braid and I can't find it now.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the pickup pin on a lot of them is plastic and braid will eventually cut thru it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know info guys, thanks.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for all the info.
    I've got two dual pick-up trigger spins rigged with Braid. I'll report back on how things go after I've used them for a month or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the braid will cut thru the pin in a short time if used very much. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I tried braid but with lite jigs the braid would not throw very good. As it seemed to drag as it goes out. Cub48

Post Thanks / Like

i have never use braid on trigger spin but i do use briads on all spinning reel for crappies most fireline 2-6 pound test and i havent go above 6 lb test .. under 6 pound is strong enough for all crappies fishing no matter what condition is, sometime use fluorocarbon as leader in 2=4 pouns test.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had PowerPro 10/2 & 8/1 on my spincast and underspin reels for years. The underspin are Daiwa US80, Pflueger1806, and a Synergy/uglystik ultra-light combo. The pins have held-up fine on all of them. One thing that I feel helped quite a bit was getting some reelmagic and give a little spray on the line. When new powerpro has a film on it and the pins would get this film on them, but a few quick spray and all is well. The line cast sooo much better than mono that I used to use Trilene XL. Braid will stay on my underspin/trigger reels.

The Pflueger1806 is matched with a 9' WM Pro Series Ive used this the most and have caught many bass with it as well, pins are fine, its a nice reel for the price.