Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blakemore Road Runners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blakemore Road Runners

Do any of you use them for Crappie fishing? Waht colors work besy and how do you fish them? I am planning to buy some from BPS. Do you have any other suggestions on what tackle I should purchase to nail some slabs?

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot better crappie fisherman than me on this board. Nevertheless, I've caught a lot of crappie on Blakemore Roadrunners. The biggest crappie I've ever caught I caught on a Blakemore.

I like the chartreuse and black heads the best (in that order), with a chartreuse twisty tail grub. These seem to work best for me. But Pumpkinseed and Watermelon grubs work well, too. I don't seem to catch a lot when using a red headed Roadrunner.

I use the 1/16 oz Blakemore mostly. I cast and retrieve them like a spinner bait.

It's one of my favorite baits.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

I use them mostly in the spring , but they'll catch crappie anytime. And anything that swims for that matter. I use chart, chart/black, white and red/white. 1/16oz and 1/8oz work for me...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

It's true, they will catch anything. I've caught bass, crappie, bluegill, pickerel, one or two cats, and lost several grub bodies to hungry gar.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

I have good success using RoadRunners early in the spring especially when crappies are just coming up on the flats looking for a place to spawn. My favorite color would have to be chartreuse head with a red body and chartreuse tail.Next would be same head with a green body and chartruese tail. Both 1/16 oz. Fish slow. I believe the ad says you can't fish a RoadRunner wrong as long as you fish it slow or something to that effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the great information.:p :p

Post Thanks / Like

I use road runners quite a lot. I usually use a black or white head with a charteuse body. They have a new one this year that is apauqe and charteuse. Should be deadly. I use them in the fall when the crappie go shallow for the last time before the winter and during the spring. When you fish them fish them slow. The blade should barely turn. Good luck
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I use them with the bubble bellys and when I run out of the bubble bellys I buy some baby bass assassins. I like them because the tail pulsates and the spinner flashes and gives off vibration if you jig them.

kissfan4 Guest

Default roadrunners

i myself us them all the time. you never know what you will catch on them. I use 1/16th oz chart. bubble belly. the lake i mainly fish for crappie has alot of standing timber, i cast past each tree and reel in slow, and i try different depths. i would be exremely careful if you plan to fish around brush, cause you can go through a bunch of roadrunners in a hurry. If you or anyone you know are able to make your own i would recomend it. I am trying some this year with gold hooks so maybe when i hang them up, i can straighten the hook and get them back. well all i can say is give them a try, they are alot of fun when the crappie knock the **** out of them.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-15-2006 at 11:06 PM.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Emeril ...

I keep a supply of RR's in my tackle boxes ... marabou version and the bare heads. I've had success with them - casting and trolling with them. I like the 1/32oz & 1/16oz sizes.
    I've caught 30 fish limits from Barkley Lake, two days in a row ... on a solid Pink marabou Roadrunner (which doesn't seem to be available, any longer ). I've caught countless numbers of Crappie on solid Chartreuse marabou RR's.
    I've caught LM/SM/Ky Bass, Hybrid Stripers, White Bass, Channel Catfish, Flathead Catfish, & Bluegill on Roadrunners. I even have a 32"/12lb Tiger Muskie mounted on my wall ... that came on a 1/16oz chartreuse Roadrunner.

I wouldn't feel like I was "fully equipped", to go Crappie fishing, unless I had RR's in my tackle. Just IMHO !!

Some other "tackle" that will serve you well, might include:

Bass Assassin brand "Panfish Assassin" bodies
    Weedless jigheads in 1/32 & 1/16oz
    Tube jig bodies (hollow & solid body) .. various body colors w/chartreuse tails
    Marabou jigs .. white, chartreuse, pink, green
    Rooster Tail in-line spinners .. blk/wht, pink, solid white, solid chartreuse
    Beetle Spins .. blk/wht, yellow/blk, wht/red

A lot, of "what" you buy, will depend on what equipment (rod/reel/line) you use and techniques/methods you prefer. ......... luck2ya ..... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast