Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: look for ultralight spinning rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default look for ultralight spinning rod

Hello,
    i'm new to this place of crappie addiction, and i have been fishing for crappies all whole my life and really have fun, right now i'm trying to upgrade or add new rod for pitch crappie under the docks..

i has been sit here and search for a little stiffer ultralight rod for pitch under the dock for crappie like i get on dock and drop jig and rod tip down on shorelander or dock where crappie hide in shade and walk all way to end of dock..
    i need some advice on the ultra light with dencent price not expensinve like gloomis but i do like the style of spin jig gloomis has in maglight with extra fast .. now need to find almost same action and anyone know where can find a good ultralight 4'6" to 5" rod

any advice on find right ultralight for pitching rod..

thank

Post Thanks / Like

BASS PRO SHOP MICROLITE. SEVERAL DIFFERENT LENGTHS ARE AVAILABLE. I HAVE ALSO USED BnM SHARPSHOOTER RODS FOR SHOOTING DOCKS.

Post Thanks / Like

i have never trying a BnM sharpshooter and i wonder how is action and taper on 4 1/2 to 6 ft rods ? i dont ever do a longer rods just under 6 1/2 ft for most all of crappies fishing..

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant help you with dock shooting rods but wanted to just say welcome from GEORGIA.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

wonder american eagle stop make rods ? well i do remeber see a decent ultra light from american eagle rod company that make in tulsa oklahoma but wonder anyone know what happen to site ?

Post Thanks / Like

Check our the Shimano Voltaeus -- good backbone, light tip, and $40 at Bass Pro.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Middle Tennessee. I will start by telling you to handle lots of rods before you decide. There are Good actions in inexpensive rods, but we all like something a little different. Wally world carries Shakespeare micro graphite rods for less than $20 that are worth a look. I have 3 of the 7' lite action of these, and they have others starting at 4'6" on up. If you're going to shoot, stay with a 1 piece rod. Once you master the technique you can shoot with most any rod you have in your hand with pretty good success. The BnM sharpshooter is good for shooting but I find them heavy in the midsection for all around use. Berkley lightning rods are also worth a look. While you're at it, look at the UL reels. A good one with lots of ball bearings isn't the cheapest, but you're going to give it a workout and a good one will last a long time.I've worn out a few and hated to see them go, but I vowed to get a better one next time. This is fun stuff with the right gear, have fun and be patient looking.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JTClark View Post
    Hello,
    i'm new to this place of crappie addiction, and i have been fishing for crappies all whole my life and really have fun, right now i'm trying to upgrade or add new rod for pitch crappie under the docks..

i has been sit here and search for a little stiffer ultralight rod for pitch under the dock for crappie like i get on dock and drop jig and rod tip down on shorelander or dock where crappie hide in shade and walk all way to end of dock..
    i need some advice on the ultra light with dencent price not expensinve like gloomis but i do like the style of spin jig gloomis has in maglight with extra fast .. now need to find almost same action and anyone know where can find a good ultralight 4'6" to 5" rod

any advice on find right ultralight for pitching rod..

thank
    JT ... you might want to look at the ESP rods. Noreseman ESP Series I use the 5'6" for dockshooting & close quarters casting.
    E56ULS 5'6" Ultra Lite Rod | Shop | ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors Be sure & read the "Features" & "Specs" part of this page, so you'll know what makes these rods different from the others. (vibration discs in handle - graphite Tenn handle - fast taper tip - etc.)

If I understand you correctly .... you're not actually "shooting" the jig back under the dock, but dropping the jig down & walking it along the edge. A marina owner I knew used to do that same thing, and he'd catch Crappie when others wouldn't. I found out his little "trick" .... LOL !! As he walked along the edge of the dock, he held his rod still & used his finger to barely jiggle the line coming off the reel. He used regular marabou/chenelle jigs ... and that line jiggling was all the action needed to make that jig look alive. The marina was a "floating" dock ... so there wasn't much chance of being able to shoot a jig under it. His method wasn't the only successful one used, but it WAS the "most" successful !!!

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JTClark View Post
    wonder american eagle stop make rods ? well i do remeber see a decent ultra light from american eagle rod company that make in tulsa oklahoma but wonder anyone know what happen to site ?
    American Eagle was bought out by Waholi Outdoors also in Tulsa, OK. they sold all the remaining stock and now have all their rods manuf. in China.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

i do the both when i want to drop jig under dock and pitch all way to find if any action when i'm stay on 1 dock and want to trying shoot to other dock to see if any action some dock is about 5 to 10 yards apart and some up 20 yards apart depend on but when i find action by shoot other dock then i move over and drop and pitch and catch and move around on every dock and shoot jig under dock or boat from other dock ..
    if give onwer a permission to get their docks.. i have successful get permission with alot of respect..

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    JT ... you might want to look at the ESP rods. Noreseman ESP Series I use the 5'6" for dockshooting & close quarters casting.
    E56ULS 5'6" Ultra Lite Rod | Shop | ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors Be sure & read the "Features" & "Specs" part of this page, so you'll know what makes these rods different from the others. (vibration discs in handle - graphite Tenn handle - fast taper tip - etc.)

If I understand you correctly .... you're not actually "shooting" the jig back under the dock, but dropping the jig down & walking it along the edge. A marina owner I knew used to do that same thing, and he'd catch Crappie when others wouldn't. I found out his little "trick" .... LOL !! As he walked along the edge of the dock, he held his rod still & used his finger to barely jiggle the line coming off the reel. He used regular marabou/chenelle jigs ... and that line jiggling was all the action needed to make that jig look alive. The marina was a "floating" dock ... so there wasn't much chance of being able to shoot a jig under it. His method wasn't the only successful one used, but it WAS the "most" successful !!!

... luck2ya ... cp