Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Opening Day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opening Day

Well, the Regular Season began today - that mess called the "First Split" being just like the preseason in pro football! Sat, laid, and squatted on a levee for almost three hours this morning and saw more geese than I have ever seen in one day in my entire life!
    And I never fired a shot! Never even got a good look!
    Maybe tomorrow - if the pains in my neck and the left cheek of my butt go away!
    Geaux Saints!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

We got three specks yesterday and three this morning. We were close to having great hunts both days. They just wouldn't quite finish. It will happen one day soon. The wind is switching around toward the south tomorrow. That might be the ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sky carp

Just got home from a trip to NW MO to visit family. I thought you goose hunters would enjoy these sky carp pictures. Notice the hard water.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics.. We killed 6 wood ducks, 2 mallards and a bonus woodcock.. First time in a blind in a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Tiger -
    How many decoys do you set? Bare ground, stubble, or water? Pit, surface blind, or laid out under cover?
    I couldn't care less about shooting those two-legged marsh rats, but specs really intrigue me. In five years of hunting maybe 12 times a year, I have killed exactly five, so I'm not out to slay 'em! But I would like to get a shot or two occasionally - just to see if I'm doing anything right!
    Any input would be sincerely appreciated.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete, We are hunting a plowed field in the Thornwell area. We have a pit blind and are using about 25 decoys this year. In years past we have used less. We killed around 70 specks the first split. I am about to leave now.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the scoop. Hope you all continue to warm 'em up!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete,
    We hunted a blind on Barksdale AFB on Flag lake and limited out on ducks on the "2nd opening". 2 of us took 6 wood ducks, a GW teal, 2 grey ducks, a mallard drake, a pintail drake, and a "Hollywood" aka "Smilin' Mallard" AKA "Spoonie" Northern Shoveler!
    All fishing, all the time!