Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery Charging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Charging

There was a discussion a few days back about charging batteries, or was it on the NC group...Age is taking is toll, Any way I though I would throw in my 2 cents worth on it...

I don't fish as often as it seems some of you do, but if I'm not going back on the water the next day, where I need a fast charge, I use a constant voltage charger.

It's sort of like a trickle charger, but the voltage stays at 13.5 volts from start to finish.. It starts out at about 750 ma. That's 3/4 amps.. and as the battery reaches it full charge of 13.5 volts,the current keeps droping back until it 5 ma.

It stays like this and doesn't boil out the water.. I've added water to my batteries 2 times in 2 1/2 years. About 6 oz. each time. Most of the trickle chargers that I've run across have no regulation on the voltage and some I've seen go as high as 14.8 volts, so the battery is setting there just getting the water boiled out.

I've used my trolling motor all day, come home and stick these units on and go back fishing in a couple of days and the battery seems to be fully charged and I would fish another full day...

The nice thing I like about these units is that I pick them up for $9.95 at Harbor Freight when they have them on sale. I given a few away to friends and so far everyone has been pleased with then.

I didn't use the boat all summer and the battery was ready to go and didn't have to add any water for the Fall Brawl. I did use my larger charger up there where I was fishing every day and most all day with the trolling motor really getting a work out this year.

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gcromer
    There was a discussion a few days back about charging batteries, or was it on the NC group...Age is taking is toll, Any way I though I would throw in my 2 cents worth on it...

I don't fish as often as it seems some of you do, but if I'm not going back on the water the next day, where I need a fast charge, I use a constant voltage charger.

It's sort of like a trickle charger, but the voltage stays at 13.5 volts from start to finish.. It starts out at about 750 ma. That's 3/4 amps.. and as the battery reaches it full charge of 13.5 volts,the current keeps droping back until it 5 ma.

It stays like this and doesn't boil out the water.. I've added water to my batteries 2 times in 2 1/2 years. About 6 oz. each time. Most of the trickle chargers that I've run across have no regulation on the voltage and some I've seen go as high as 14.8 volts, so the battery is setting there just getting the water boiled out.

I've used my trolling motor all day, come home and stick these units on and go back fishing in a couple of days and the battery seems to be fully charged and I would fish another full day...

The nice thing I like about these units is that I pick them up for $9.95 at Harbor Freight when they have them on sale. I given a few away to friends and so far everyone has been pleased with then.

I didn't use the boat all summer and the battery was ready to go and didn't have to add any water for the Fall Brawl. I did use my larger charger up there where I was fishing every day and most all day with the trolling motor really getting a work out this year.

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Hey, Gerald.....A constant voltage charger sounds like something I could use. I have trouble boiling batteries when charging, but they are all made by Exide. I've been using Stowaway and DieHard, and just discovered that Sears batteries and the Stowaway are now made by Exide as of a few years ago. I bought a different battery to replace the Stowaway, and have had no trouble. I've always believed that trickle chargers extend battery life, but have not bought one. At the price you quoted on a constant voltage, and as close as Harbor F. is, I'm going to have to try one. Thanks for the tip and good fishing!

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by gcromer

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Thanks for the float charger you gave me. I liked so much I got 2 more. They really do the job....Thanks again
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you guys heard about the new charging system that charges your boat batteries while you drive to the lake. It's called Stay-n-charge. I live in an apartment building, on the second floor, with no outside plug, so i ordered one. It works great. Only takes me about half an hour to get to the lake and i've got a full charge. I believe their website iswww. Stayncharge.com. Check it out. It's really an amazing product. They have two systems. The one i have is for one battery but they make one that can charge three.

Post Thanks / Like

They do work great unless you only live minutes from the lake. I used one 15 years ago, for some reason I just hav'nt bought another for my current truck.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Charger

I have three battery chargers now. One I gave to my mom and I don't use it anymore. The newest one is a Vector Jump'n Charge 12volt Battery Charger and jump-start system. It automatically will lower the amp charge rate as the battery gets up to full charge. It will start out using 6amp/hr and then drop down to 4amp/hr, 2amh/hr and finally it will trickle charge and when it's finished the meter will read FUL which means that the battery is fully charged and ready go go. It will maintain a trickle charge as well.

But I normally use my old Sears Automatic Battery Charger. It has a charge setting that will start charging at 10amp/hour and then the charge rate drops down at the battery is being charged. Finally it drops down to zero on the analog needle type meter and just gives the battery a trickle charge.

I an not sure if the Voltage varies as well but the amp charge rate does drop down. So I suspect that the voltage varies as well. PIE. Power or Amp equals Voltage x Resistance. I would think that the resistance in the battery stays the same but I could be wrong.

I use the Optima Batterys these days and they have the following special features:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some information on the Blue Top Marine Optima Battery. I think it's a deep cycle battery in the broschure. I got mine a car parts store. Pepboys sells them as well as Batteries Plus stores. They are not cheap but they are suppose to be the best out there these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Moose1am; 10-24-2004 at 12:34 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran across an interesting article about some new batteries being made by Northstar Battery Co. Supposingly twice the power and half the size. And probably cost a gunny sack full of money.
    http://www.northstarbattery.com/marine_trolling.php

Might be worth watching.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va