Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Vicious fluorocarbon got a couple of questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vicious fluorocarbon got a couple of questions?

ok first off what is the differance in fluorocarbon and braided and mono and the other question is has any one used Vicious fluorocarbon 8lbs and i know the 8lbs mono is the best you can buy IMOP and i just wanted to know if the fluorocarbon is worth buying over the mono and during the winter is one of my favirote times to fish FYI
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up buying 250yds of the fluorocarbon 8lbs. vicious last night yall think it will be as good as the vicious panfish mono. ?
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some 8 fluorocarbon and plan on trying it this season. It disappears under water and no stretch should be an advantage for jig fishing. Look at an article in the current Field and Stream about sensitivity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie josh View Post
    ok first off what is the differance in fluorocarbon and braided and mono and the other question is has any one used Vicious fluorocarbon 8lbs and i know the 8lbs mono is the best you can buy IMOP and i just wanted to know if the fluorocarbon is worth buying over the mono and during the winter is one of my favirote times to fish FYI
    Hey Josh, I'm on the Vicious Pro Staff. Fluoro-Disappears in the water. Great to use in clear water lakes. It also does not stretch. Braid-Does not stretch but is used when in heavy, heavy cover. Mono- the vicious panfish and ultimate line are both mono. They have some stretch to them. I use the offshore 12lb high vis line (it's mono). When I fish in clear lakes I 'll put a fluoro leader. Hope this helps you out.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 lb Power Pro braid, with 8 lb Viscious floro as a leader when jig fishing.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

First, mono is a generic name for clear fishing line that isn't fluorocarbon. Mono basically comes in lines like Trilene XL which is a nylon mono and Viscous is made from coploymer which is tougher, more scratch resistant and less stretchy than nylon mono. Fluorocarbons primary advantage is that it disappears when under water more than any other line. It also stretches less than nylon, but stretches about the same as copolys. Fluoro tends to be stiffer and isn't best suited for spinning. In my experience it is also more fragile than other clear lines and breaks more often under heavy casting. DO NOT use fluoro with any expensive heavy lures like swimbaits or musky lures.

Braid is a totally different animal. First it isn't clear and shows up under water more than any other line. Braid is a woven line like the old old woven nylon lines except its made with advanced materials like spectra dyneema or kevlar and now Gore material like in Goretex, or combinations of them. It is very limp, thin and strong with no stretch and casts very well, but watch out for wind knots. They are murder with braids. Here is where fluoro comes in handy. Many use fluoro as a leader with braid and have the best of both worlds. Right now the best braid is the new Sufix braid. It's expensive like all braids are, but everything I read about it says it's the best braided line ever. Sufix Fishing Line | The World's Most Hardcore Fishing Line | Home
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 12-21-2010 at 02:02 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Nightprowler;1347914]I bought some 8 fluorocarbon and plan on trying it this season. It disappears under water and no stretch should be an advantage for jig fishing. Look at an article in the current Field and Stream about sensitivity.

Herb, Grizz is right in terms of spinning gear and fluoro. Using it to pitch and retrieve light jigs will be an exercise in frustration and an expensive lesson--use it as leader line and you'll be happier.