Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help choosing new trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help choosing new trolling motor

I am going to replace my old steel shaft Minn Kota 28 thrust foot control this year. My boat is a 16 ft. stick steer Panfisher by Basstracker. I am starting to have trouble with arthritis in my knees and can only stand a couple of hours on the foot control.

Due to the way I fish, sometimes holding two jig poles, and how far my seat is back from the trolling motor I still want a foot control. I was looking at the Minn Kota 55AT 12 volt but now I am considering some sort of a power drive. Maybe it will be easier on my knees.

Also Auto Pilot sounds pretty good if it works like it's supposed to. I would like to here from some of you guys on what trolling motors you use and/or any thoughts you may have on the subject.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Concord N,C home lake, High Rock, tuckertown
    Post Thanks / Like

slabbandit, I have a 55pt power drive on my 21ft pontoon and absolutley love it, it comes with a foot pedal with close to 18ft of cord so you can drive it from anywhere in the boat, you could also add the co-pilot, put it on a lanyard wear it around your neck and nt have to worry about the cord, i hope this helps you.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You definately want a power drive. I have leg problems too and with the PD you don't have to keep your foot on the pedal all the time. The auto pilot makes it even better. And like C-More Slabs said, you can always add the co-pilot later and store the pedal in a locker.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I also have leg trouble, And run my auto pilot by had. I will be adding the little remote. To get away from the foot control.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Sounds like Power Drive with Auto Pilot is the way to go! The 55AT Foot Control I was thinking about getting probably would have been even harder on my knee due to more torque.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I found this Copilot on this sight.
    I don't know if it's a good price or not. I was just surfin.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=134977
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Minn Kota Powerdrive 55lb thrust motor. It's occupying a prized spot on my livingroom floor at the moment. I got the corded co-pilot hand control to go with it. Hope the weather is nice this weekend so i can put it on my boat.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

everybodys right on the money, i have the co-pilot and its GREAT........go get one
    Remember, throw'em back unless ITZAKEEPER ....