Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair/Feather Jigs and scent?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hair/Feather Jigs and scent?

Any of you ever soak your hair/feather jigs in some kind of scent then take them out and let them dry? I was thinking this might be worth trying, but there is normally a down side I over look about things.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

watch soaking them in stuff. The chemicals may effect the colors of the jig..Which this maybe a good thing, just something to watch out for.....

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pbug2009 View Post
    watch soaking them in stuff. The chemicals may effect the colors of the jig..which this maybe a good thing, just something to watch out for.....
    x2
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

what about somthing like float-n-fly fisherman use...I think its called fish dope....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I use it and like punishers fish dope in garlick and it has a strong scent, I put dope on the hair jigs I use. I will dab a little on the thread to the begining of the hair so I dont hurt the action of the jig. Dont get it on your clothes because even if you wash them on the next outing you will still smell it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
    what about somthing like float-n-fly fisherman use...I think its called fish dope....
    Sometimes i think thats what the fish call me.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I dip the jig in an anise mixture of mine. Usually I would tip a jig with a wax worm for scent. I save the dip for when I am using plastics.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

If I want to add scent it will be when I use it and some of my reason is using a oil base scent like I have some real Shad oil and wouldn't want that in my box. So would just put a drop on when fishing and then probably not put that jig back in my box at all. There are lots of dirrferent kinds of oils you can buy, and I have several, I would use them just as said about the shad oil.

Soft plastics are a lot different as it will absorb what ever you put them in and still soaking them will change the color and maybe even the flexability, but not sure about that part. I have soaked some soft plastic worms before and they were different for sure.

So just take the stuff with you and if you want some on your jig, just place a drop on the hair end and maybe the thread, but that stuff will change the jig for ever and when you take it out you probably will not want it in any kind of box where you keep them.

Just my opinion though,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Use a nibble on the hook tip. Seperate 'em first and dump garlic powder over them. Let them dry out as to where they are not as squishy. Throw 'em back in the container and hold on.

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Sometimes i think thats what the fish call me.
    :D:D...nice Wilbur.....I honestly dont use scents...just throwing a suggestion out....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast