Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What GPS to y'all use??

Post Thanks / Like

Default What GPS to y'all use??

I am going to get one to help me keep up with the "spots". I really don't know what I "need" in a unit. I have looked at ebay until my eyes are crossing and my head hurts. There are so many out there! It will be used for fishing mainly. I fish alot of different lakes and think it would come in handy. Thanks Fred
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

hey,fred...been using a garmin 76 for the last couple seasons and it is all i need for markin fishin spots...gets me rite back to them , usually on first pass. simple to use . turn it on, let it get oriented to sats. it goes to plotter screen automatically. to mark a spot , hit enter twice! thats it!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowrance 332C GPS on my boat and I love it. Anytime I go outon the water the GPS saves my route, plus any way points I store. Being color is a lot easier on the eyes, and the detail is second to none. They normally go for $649. If you don't want to spend that much the 480LM is a great black-n-white graph for the money.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Fred, I have a camo Etrex and it works pretty good. After using it for a couple of years I am wanting to update to the Etrex Vista. The Vista uses the WAAS satalittes,satilights,...THINGS UP IN SPACE!!!

This makes them accurate to within 3 meters. Also the Vista has an electronic compass which I have learned is very important to a fisherman. Without an electronic compass the pointer will go crazy once you slow down to fishing speed. Sometimes it will actually point in the opposite direction of the brushpile.

With an electronic compass you can be sitting dead still and the pointer will remain pointing at your fishing spot or brushpile. The advantage to this is you don't have to throw a bouy every time you stop to fish a spot. I've noticed that you draw a lot less attention to your fishing spots if you don't have a big orange marker bouy floating in front of your boat.

GPS units with an electronic compass are not cheap,(about $100 more) than a unit without but based on my experiences it would be money well spent.

This is just my 2 cents worth and I know that a lot of guys use other units.I just have more experience with Garmin Etrex units as most of my friends units are Etrex.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Concord N,C home lake, High Rock, tuckertown
    Post Thanks / Like

hey fred, I have an older lowrance lms160 with gps love it but i hear alot of good things about the garmin units if you do get one and can afford it get one with color, my next purchase..

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hey, I just bought a GPS 60 Garmin, I love it, but now I wish I had a GPS that had mapping system. THink about that before your purchase.
    Last edited by David Waters; 02-15-2006 at 07:42 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I use and love the Lowrance 332C. It is a great unit! It is the combination GPS/depth finder. If you need just the GPS, go with the Lowrance 3500C.

Russ

Post Thanks / Like

LMS 480... Great Black and white..... Hot maps/Navionics... on sale right now. Most days it's within 3 ft. sonar/gps/flasher. The new ones have internal gps antennas so if your gonna save space... try the 334C.
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Magellan Meridan Gold back at the console and a Lowrance LMS-332C on the bow. Both work great.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin Etrex legend color

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast