Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider Rigging rod length?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging rod length?

I am in the process of rigging my boat up to do some spider rigging and long lining. I got everything but my rods and fixin to order them as soon as I figure out length! My question on the spider rigging is on rod length....I dont know if I should go with 14' or 16'? I am fishing out of aluminum G3 and there is a little water slap on front of boat while trolling and wondering does rod distance matter with that sound? Just wanted some opinions on this before I buy? Is there any plus or cons between 14' and 16'?
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fishing out of a deep V bass boat so I don't have as much water slap as you do but this is the rig I use. 12' BNM regular poles, I like a limber tip, with a 1/4 oz weight pegged with a rubber band to the line with a single jig. That way if I get hung most times if reachable I can push the weigh down to the jig and knock it loose. I'm sure you can use it with 2 jigs too.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I recently fished a small mud hole in Mississippi with some of the best in the business, they had 12ft,to 16 ft. rods, I had 10 an 12ft rods, they caught fish I did too. and I might add, 1 less than my fishing partner, I been slow trolling, (now they call it all kinds of things) for many years, one rod in each hand, two laying on the boat deck, and catch the heck out of fish, now I got rod holders all over the boat, and I still use them 12 and under rods, just what ever you get use to will work, and since you have never used the long rods, you will probably take right to it, good luck

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing about 16' rods is they are a handful when you got a good fish on in shallow water. Last year I ran 12' rods and this year I'm running 14s. I figure that's the middle ground, so that's where I'm sticking.

I'm sure, at times, the extra 2' will help with spooky fish. I'm also sure at times you could tie lines to the cleats and catch fish. Just me, but I don't want the aggrivation of 16' rods.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

My CUSA partner has the G3 as well and we use 14' poles. I personally like that length because there are many time we are fishing in 5' or less of water.
    Fishing shallow like that you need to have the longer rods so the boat or the trolling motor doesn't spook the fish before the bait gets to them.

Just my opinion. You should go with what you are confident in using.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using 12' rods for years and caught lots of fish. Recently started using 14'ers, not sure if I'm catching more fish. To me, the biggest advantage to longer poles is that you have a wider spread. 16' ers are just too heavy to deal with for me.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the info so far. I have 2-12's, 2-10's, 2-9's and 2-8's. Used 12'sin the 2 middle holders and 10's next out from there. I can't run more than that when I'm alone. I forgot my big rods one day and used 2-5's ans 2-7's and caught fish just the same, though the TM was a big issue. I like 2 piece rods so 12's is what I will have more of, they do fine for me. They also do double duty as jigging poles as the longer ones are just too ungainly for me. I saw an aluminum crappie boat last year with 8-12' rods out, that was a heck of a spread. Don't forget the long handle net.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Overall i like 14' they are great deep shallow and everything inbetween.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All great points. Also consider the lengths and how you intend on hauling them in the boat getting to the lake and back home. You may also want to build some vertical rod (pole) holders when motoring on the lake.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a G3 aluminum boat and I use 10 and 12 ft. rods for spider rigging.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast