Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 7' or 7'6" rod for banks fishing?

DPtoo Guest

Question 7' or 7'6" rod for banks fishing?

The rods I have been looking at for banks fishing are the BPS Microlite series (BPS is just across town from me). The 6' 1-piece L action, the 7' 2-piece L action, and the 7'6" 2-piece UL action. The L actions are listed as 2-8lb test line, the UL is 2-6lb line. All three are listed for 1/16 to 1/4 oz lure weight.

For crappie and other panfish I intend to use 4 lb line. Will the 7'6" rod give me more casting distance, or is there some sort of break-even point with rod length?

If there's a problem with a long rod interfering with trees and brush I guess I could buy a cheaper short rod as a backup.

Post Thanks / Like

6 inches won't make much differance if trees are a problem. Find you a good all around rod and don't worry too much about length, but don't get no 10' rod cause that will be a problem.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DPtoo ........look at

the Sam Heaton 7ft rod at BnM ( www.bnmpoles.com ) .... I have looked at some of the BPS Microlite rods, and they seem to be a bit "whippy" for their length. You might also want to contact Richard Williams ( [email protected] ) and see what blank his 7ft rod is made from.
    The Sam Heaton is an IM6 blank - flexible, but not "whippy".

The best thing you can do, regardless of which rod you choose, is to get a good quality reel for it. If you intend to use 4lb line, consider getting something just a bit bigger than the standard UL or Micro sized reels. Their small diameter spools don't hold enough line, plus they cause the line to be wrapped in very tight coils. A light Bass spinning reel, like a Shimano Spirex 1000, would have a larger line spool and allow greater distances on your casts, plus ... the line would be coiled around it in bigger loops. Give your line a shot of Reel Magic or silicone spray the night before or morning of your trip, and your casting distances will be greater.
    In the event of overhanging trees ... there's two ways to get around this obstacle : cast sidearm, or use the "dock shooting" method of "slingshotting" the bait - either would be preferred over an overhand cast that may never reach the waters surface. ......luck2ya ..........cp

DPtoo Guest

I'm planning on the Shimano Sedona 2000 rear drag. Feels right, and I couldn't feel any different between it and front drag models when I played with the display units at BPS. Love the pushbutton reel popoff feature. The reason for the 2000 rather than the 1000 was exactly the reel size question; memory problems and all that.

Last time I went fishing was in the early/mid 1970s, so the quality of everything nowadays is pretty much amazing. The Microlites feel pretty good to me (compared to solid glass rods!), I've never used lures as small as 1/16 or 1/32 oz but I would think a soft tip would be better for casting those little things.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 7' rod

I use a Bass Pro Shops® Wally Marshall™ Pro Series Rod 7' LA, model WM70PS with a Shimano® Spirex® Spinning Reel SR1000RD REAR DRAG.

I plan to buy another of these rods in the 8' model before next spring and will be putting Bass Pro Shops® Wally Marshall™ Crappie Spinning Reels model 4030C feature an EZ-Cast® trigger with self-centering bail on it.

Give your line a shot of Reel Magic, I like this product.
    Last edited by duane; 10-24-2004 at 11:22 AM.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead