Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Done what you aren't supposed to do

Post Thanks / Like

Default Done what you aren't supposed to do

Tried it and it worked, they say you are not supposed to cut your transducer cable and splice it, I tore the back transducer off, done it more than once, and didn't really want to re-run all the cable and connection to the unit so I spliced it up about 3' from the skimmer transducer, 5 little wires and put it back together taking my time matching colors, and it works great, this is the second time I have done this....... not sure how it might work on units that have more like a coax cable with the wire in the center? but it works on my Eagles......... just fyi..........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olesilverside View Post
    Tried it and it worked, they say you are not supposed to cut your transducer cable and splice it, I tore the back transducer off, done it more than once, and didn't really want to re-run all the cable and connection to the unit so I spliced it up about 3' from the skimmer transducer, 5 little wires and put it back together taking my time matching colors, and it works great, this is the second time I have done this....... not sure how it might work on units that have more like a coax cable with the wire in the center? but it works on my Eagles......... just fyi..........
    Glad you got it done. Canepole has been doing this for years, and if he says it can be done, it can. The thing to make sure of, is if the wire was shielded before, you better shield it after splicing. That liquid electrical tape works great for sealing the connections up if you solder.

Post Thanks / Like

as often as I break these things, I need to use quick dis-connect fittings.............
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Saved yourself several buck's today,at least you got something worthwhile accomplished all i've done is stoke the fire.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olesilverside View Post
    as often as I break these things, I need to use quick dis-connect fittings.............
    That would actually be pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why you are not supposed too?? I have done it several times and everytime it worked just fine, I think the sellers tell you not to so they can sell you a new one. I had the last repaired one on my boat for over a year until I sold the boat and I assume it is still on there working. Nice repair OSS!

Post Thanks / Like

I've spliced the coax too. Anything can be repaired...well almost. If it's been broke on a boat, I've broke it. Thirty years of spending over 100 days on the water will do that. I even broke a part on one of my Honda outboards that, to the best of Honda's knowledge, I'm the only one world-wide who's done so!

Post Thanks / Like

Why they don't have a 'connector' on ALL ducers has always bugged me. Seems like the connectors for trolling motors with universal pucks :rolleyes::rolleyes: work fine???? <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER