Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Line Problem won't reel up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Problem won't reel up.

I have a couple of underspin Shakespere reels unless you have tension on the line it won't reel the line in. Anyone have a fix for this. I use 6# Mr Crappie line it works good on my Daiwa underspin. I though of trying some florcarbon to see if that would work.

Post Thanks / Like

Most spin cast type reels won't reel unless there's a little tension. The line pickup is small, and the line is only sure to be on the disc where the pickup can get it if there is some tension.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't use underspin reels, but had a couple for my son when he was younger. You may have too much line spooled on, and like Catfan noted, they all need a little tension to catch.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about line fill. I may try that as the spool is full. I have a Daiwa and it does not have this problem. I have 2 of these reels one is worse than the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Take the front cover off and use your fingers to guide the line in its place, and you'll see why you need the tension when you let line out and reel it back in a few times. Line and fill, and even line twist can mess with it too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 6 diawa's and 2 abu garcia's,they have line pickups and work well,some of these underspins don't have line pickups check yours for that.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cub48 View Post
    I have a couple of underspin Shakespere reels unless you have tension on the line it won't reel the line in. Anyone have a fix for this. I use 6# Mr Crappie line it works good on my Daiwa underspin. I though of trying some florcarbon to see if that would work.
    Why would you want to reel in line without a little tension on the line? I use under-spins on my spider rigging and nightstalk rods and have never had trouble with any of them, most are Shakespere's. Just wondering.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I work my jig as I reel in. I raise it up and drop it as I reel up sometimes the line will get slack and you will be setting there not reeling any line in. With a 1/32 jig you don't have much line tension anyway when you are dock shooting. Or when you shoot the jig as it falls you start to reel and it just don't pick the line up until you raise the tip of your rod. It is just aggravating I gave one reel away because it would hang every 10 throws. I have a daiwa us80xd and i very seldom have any problems with it. Thinking of buying another one. Cub48