Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: line twist question on a spinning reel.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default line twist question on a spinning reel.....

what steps can one take when spooling a spining reel to avoid the dreaded line twist? I have multiple rod/reel setups for all the different tactics I use through out the year, and usally when we get ice I change all my mono out in prep for the upcoming year. on most of my reels the line goes on great and has no twist, but its inevitable I usally have one or two that has enough twist to make a preacher cuss. its not always the same reels so its not that, I use a line spooling tool to keep decent tension, but I have to be doing somthing to cause it. I can fill multiple spools from the same spool of line and one twist and one not. I have used the same name brand line year after year, and even ventured trying different brands with no luck, and always go back to same one I used in past. any advice or tips would be great. Merry Christmas & God bless all.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

The better the reel, the less problems you have with line twist. Buy the best Daiwa or Shimano you can afford (make sure it has some type of anti-line twist device) AND ... follow the directions on how to spool the line.

This is what I do, and line twist is just not a problem.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

G'mornin James, I pay attention to the direction of rotation on the reel and the spool to make sure they aren't opposing. After that, tension. Not super tight but no loose line. The most important thing to remember is that a 5" spool and a 1 1/2 inch spool will generate some twist. So buy a ball bearing snap swivel and tie it to the end of the line when you finish spooling the line on. Hook it to something outside and start walking backwards, a long way. I try to take off about half the line if I have the room. Reapply the tension and reel, walking back to where you hooked it fast. The ball bearing will spin easier than the barrel swivels. If you still don't think you're getting it all, stop occasionally and reduce the tension and allow the bearing to spin and release the twist. Don't allow loops to form when you do that. Best is to let it out behind the boat when under way and let most of it out with nothing on the end, there's a lot of drag on bare line.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice Skeetbum, the spooling tools are +/- for spinning reels. Almost all spinning reels make sure the line is coming off the spool to the right (clockwise). Another, is when casting the lure spins in the air creating twist as does reeling when the drag is active. Occasionally, if boating cut the lure off and lay the line out like Skeetbum says and it'll cut twist to a minimal. Line-twist is a part of spinning reels, and yes the better quality reels help, but it is the nature of the reel. When starting your day wet the line on the spool and it will soften the memory of mono helping to eliminate twist. Hope it helps, we ALL fight it. Good luck
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing I've done is switch to a light braid.
    I'm throwing a "Fins" 8# and I like it.
    Bright yellow. I picked it up last year at a tackle show to try out.
    A lot of my guide buddies do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedoc View Post
    Good advice Skeetbum, the spooling tools are +/- for spinning reels. Almost all spinning reels make sure the line is coming off the spool to the right (clockwise). Another, is when casting the lure spins in the air creating twist as does reeling when the drag is active. Occasionally, if boating cut the lure off and lay the line out like Skeetbum says and it'll cut twist to a minimal. Line-twist is a part of spinning reels, and yes the better quality reels help, but it is the nature of the reel. When starting your day wet the line on the spool and it will soften the memory of mono helping to eliminate twist. Hope it helps, we ALL fight it. Good luck
    If it comes off the spool clockwise arent you reversing it? All my spinning reels wind counter clockwise I put it on coming off the spool C.C. but still have trouble after they set a while figure it is just memory. First cast after 3 weeks line looks like a coil spring. Was OK when first spooled. Mitchell 308 reel.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, off the filler in "reverse" and back to the spool "forward". The coiled spring memory is relaxed if you wet the spool in the beginning. If you have a graphite spool it is important to NOT to overfill or put it on TIGHT! We mono becomes wet it will swell a bit and can expand and pop the head off the spool. This is especially true if you have your spools machine filled at a sporting goods store. I'll never fish braided lines on my GLoomis rods or spinning reels, the oxide guided rods are best for braid. Braid is just to hard on equipment for me.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    G'mornin James, I pay attention to the direction of rotation on the reel and the spool to make sure they aren't opposing. After that, tension. Not super tight but no loose line. The most important thing to remember is that a 5" spool and a 1 1/2 inch spool will generate some twist. So buy a ball bearing snap swivel and tie it to the end of the line when you finish spooling the line on. Hook it to something outside and start walking backwards, a long way. I try to take off about half the line if I have the room. Reapply the tension and reel, walking back to where you hooked it fast. The ball bearing will spin easier than the barrel swivels. If you still don't think you're getting it all, stop occasionally and reduce the tension and allow the bearing to spin and release the twist. Don't allow loops to form when you do that. Best is to let it out behind the boat when under way and let most of it out with nothing on the end, there's a lot of drag on bare line.
    This is exactly how I do it.....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The direction you load can make a difference. Most line twist comes from the drag slipping or lure rotation. I use a swivel inline up about a 1' or so to help with lures that sometimes cause twist. Like one said , if it starts remove lure from line and feed out behind the boat to allow twist to unwind.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problems with my spincast reels.I use quality reels,have tried every kind of line out there and have different people spool them for me,no help,next step trying braid I've been told that will work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast