Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finding the big slabs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding the big slabs

I tried a new part of the lake today.It started out a little slow but we finally figured out a pattern and caught a couple limits of nice crappies. I've been trying to find some bigger crappie. My son in law and I have been fishing a winter series crappie tournament on LOZ. We can catch plenty of 10 to 12 inch crappie [which means we donate to the cause] but the bigger ones are hard for us to find. Does anyone have any advise for us.

Post Thanks / Like

First off you have to fish the right part of the lake,where are you guys fishin?according to the weights and what i've been catching the big fish just aint biting right now but they will at some point and i want to be there when they do.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree about the big fish not biting. I live south of Nashville, TN and I've caught a couple above 1.8 last week and I've seen some very good stringers this past month. The fish are scattered if anything, and not stacked up in certain areas like springtime. At this time of year, I find that available cover at those depths they are most comfortable in will hold fish. For example, I found fish in 20 to 25 fow and they suspended and they suspended at 16 to 20 feet. There were some fish suspended in deeper water nearby but those weren't as active, mostly dinks. Close to deep water is part of the pattern til the water warms up. Good luck and stay warm, this is just my opinion and I'm still learning too.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Bugman
    I've mainly been on the lower 12 miles of the osage. I did wander down around the Glaize bridge last week and found the same size fish. yesterday I was between the 34mm and 44mm of the osage. The fishing has been good. We're having a blast catching nice limits but we're not catching the kickers we need for a tounament.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jamie will help put youn in the right area. Those kicker fish do not like to come out and play sometime and tournaments is in of those times. The guys you are fishing against in that series are some of the best LOZ fisherman there is and they are struggling also with the kicker fish also. They also have certain piles or beds or porcupines put out to try and get that one or two kicker fish needed to win a tournament. Stay after them and get in a place you feel there is big kicker size fish. That is what I do on Truman just fish the areas i am confident in the big fish being there. Somedays they are some they will not be.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fishing that same series right now and can't find a kicker anywhere. My partner fished on Monday and had still only had 5 3/4 on 7. They're probably hittin today since the wind is supposed to gust at 44mph.
    Proof is in the pictures. Top is nine and bottom is Slabbenstein!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I don't agree about the big fish not biting. I live south of Nashville, TN and I've caught a couple above 1.8 last week and I've seen some very good stringers this past month. The fish are scattered if anything, and not stacked up in certain areas like springtime. At this time of year, I find that available cover at those depths they are most comfortable in will hold fish. For example, I found fish in 20 to 25 fow and they suspended and they suspended at 16 to 20 feet. There were some fish suspended in deeper water nearby but those weren't as active, mostly dinks. Close to deep water is part of the pattern til the water warms up. Good luck and stay warm, this is just my opinion and I'm still learning too.
    I wasn't talking about lakes all over the united states i was referring to lake ozark.

www.simplycrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tmcdaniel View Post
    Hello Bugman
    I've mainly been on the lower 12 miles of the osage. I did wander down around the Glaize bridge last week and found the same size fish. yesterday I was between the 34mm and 44mm of the osage. The fishing has been good. We're having a blast catching nice limits but we're not catching the kickers we need for a tounament.
    You're fishing areas that hold big fish the lower lake,gravois and above the 50mm is where most of the tournaments are won it's just not happening right now,a person can go and catch hundreds of fish but the size is hard to find right now but with this cold weather it will drop the temps and move the fish to the brush/docks which will make the bigger fish easier to find,don't give up everyone else including me is having the same trouble,let me know how you're doing and maybe together we can figure out a gameplan on some big fish.

www.simplycrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loz

Best advise I can give ya is to keep donating! just kidding, it's been a strange year at loz. This time last year we were catching around 9 to 10 lbs. on 7 on the upper osage and lower lake. Keep at it, Ted and I have spent 100's of hours on that lake and still can figure out whats going on. Next weekend should be awsome.

Post Thanks / Like

My partners and I have won two tournaments on Lake O. I fish from Browns Bend down to Memosa Beach area. I have probably 30 places in that stretch of water that usually hold bigger fish. Nothing is constant, and merely knowing the lake holds tons of big fish, you just have to keep trying new places until you find them. I have fished that lake for 50 years and love it in the spring and winter. To many people at other times of the year. I constantly look for 20 foot ledges close to river channels and deep brush in front of docks, not side of docks. Use big baits to catch big fish. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast