PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing a brush pile Does

beagle man
12-11-2010, 09:17 AM
it matter, I was fishing a big brush pile couple days ago and got hung up pretty often, couple guys come by and said best cut the line or you will scare the fish away. I said no problem here I have 12 in the box and have not moved in a hour. well said the guy on the trolling motor are you serious, heck yea I said. we talked a bit and he said well guess I better leav you alone, no problem well he hit his trolling motor and it was on high, by accident he said, and as soon as he hit his motor I had just got to the mark on my line and bam no. 13 on the line, guess it did not matter to the fish, just wondering if you folks had any suggestions or thought on the subject of distrubing the crappie bed, trees, or what ever, heck some times I rattle the tree to stir up the alge on the darn thing just to get a bite going. any thoughts.

Procraft 176
12-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Sometimes, I think it may do some good to move em around a little bit, especially when the bite goes stale on you.

hunter7711
12-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I know that when i used to fish the missouri oxbows through the ice. We would take our shouvel and hit the snag to get the fish moving a little. It always gave us a few extra fish.

Yodibuzz
12-11-2010, 03:57 PM
i have noticed loosing a fish will shut down the bite more thank getting hung up in a brush pile.

Fatman
12-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Always thought it stirred up the algea and the fish wanted a little extra food. Never seen it shut them off, but have when losing one

rocket rich
12-11-2010, 04:36 PM
my dad used to call it shake the bush and it always seem to make them bite

Billbob
12-11-2010, 04:43 PM
it helps at times from what i have seen

MePreach
12-11-2010, 04:55 PM
If getting hung and shaking the brush, etc. causes them to bite more......there wouldn't be a crappie left where I fish as much as I get hung! Lol

LBM
12-11-2010, 07:37 PM
There has been times working a brush pile and not getting any bites where I'm getting ready to move on and get hung up and in the process of getting freed I get a bite. That tends to make me think a heavy jig banging on the brush is like knocking on the fish's door way to wake him up or agitate him into biting.

I also figure if there is a fish down there and not biting my jig why not just drive him out of there with a lot of commotion.

crappiedoc
12-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I think it's 2 part, theres shaking the bush and then theres rippin the roof off. The latter I think does 2 things, moves about to different areas or, and I think this is true, your big fish if they're around won't be or succumb to hiding. Remember shaking dislodges more than algae, it'll move bait kinda like a big fish driving on in for dinner. Bait will swim out and feed on the now suspended particles and crappie also feed on that algae, it's like bacon bits on your salad

NIMROD
12-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Depends on water depth and clarity I think. If it's not real shallow and off colored it does less harm . This is my opinion anyway. I have seen where a boat running by stirring up the water made them bite. I guess it washed bait fish out of hiding or something.

Lowellhturner
12-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Agreed. Was fishing with a "friend" after a day of dropping cover, another boat came on up and dropped anchor. We had 6-7 keepers then the bite slowwed way down. We were getting ready to leave and ole boy apparently tossed his anchor right on top of the cover! "Oh great!" thinks we. Within 30 seconds we BOTH got bit, and caught several more in the next 4- 5 minutes. Ole boy must have just noticed us 20` away and says "OH! Didn`t see you fishing here!" and proceeds to try to retrieve his anchor; it`s fouled and after a serious couple of minutes heaving to bust a gut, he manages to pull up a waterlogged "BB". He drifts almost into us and decide to just help him clear his anchor and the whole time my partner "5 Star" is just KILLING the fish! He must have gotten 6 or 7 more (not all keepers) as helped Mr McGoo free his anchor. That done and the "BB" back on the bottom, we caught 9- 10 more! Strange but true!

bttmline
12-12-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't mind when I get snagged and shake bush, I just had guys that fish with 50 lb test and tear the structure apart.

T.C.
12-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I dont know about this topic, i dont fish brush piles but i hope none of you fellas cut your line so you dont disturb the brush. I had to get a lower unit put on my motor a few months ago b/c i got fishing line wrapped around my prop and it out out the seal causing my ooil to leak out and ruin my lower unit. If you cut your line and you are fishing in 25 fow, thats 25 feet of line just dangling in the water. You may not be the one to get the line wrapped in your prop but you also could be. just think about it is all im saying.

Chuck Haley
12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
it matter, I was fishing a big brush pile couple days ago and got hung up pretty often, couple guys come by and said best cut the line or you will scare the fish away. I said no problem here I have 12 in the box and have not moved in a hour. well said the guy on the trolling motor are you serious, heck yea I said. we talked a bit and he said well guess I better leav you alone, no problem well he hit his trolling motor and it was on high, by accident he said, and as soon as he hit his motor I had just got to the mark on my line and bam no. 13 on the line, guess it did not matter to the fish, just wondering if you folks had any suggestions or thought on the subject of distrubing the crappie bed, trees, or what ever, heck some times I rattle the tree to stir up the alge on the darn thing just to get a bite going. any thoughts.

I have fished with a good friend of mine that only jig fishes over brush or structure and I have seen him get hung up and wind his line up and push the rod tip under water to the jig and push it of the brush and catch a fish in the next 30 seconds or so. I am sure noise and movement might make a difference some times but I think if they are holding tight to a structure it is hard to scare them off. Just my experience.

slappycrapy
12-13-2010, 08:27 AM
I love eaten salad! With bacon merry christmas to all!

DRPEPPER
12-13-2010, 08:29 AM
I have had trout and crappie get active after Mr Magoo (I like that lowellhturner) passes too close in a boat. On My last couple of trips to Greeson, I have marked a lot of brush due to the low water. It amused me to see all of Jerry Blake's hooks and sinkers hanging in them.
DP

Lowellhturner
12-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Wasn`t trying to be disrepectful; he was a nice enough guy, just couldn`t believe he DIDN`T see the 22` pontoon we were on at that time. Maybe his eyesight wasn`t all that good... any way, after freeing his anchor, he idled away 80-90` and yanked the throttles back and away he went; kinda makes ya WONDER sometimes....

crappieseeker
12-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I have had several experiences. Sometimes I have gotten hung and shake the jig loose and then as it comes loose I catch a fish. I think it is natural reaction in some cases. Sometimes I have been very noisy and scared them and sometimes just moving over the top of them even quietly has scared them. However sometimes nothing much seems to spook them away. I never want to take chances, so I try to be calm and quiet no matter what.

Eager Beaver
12-16-2010, 05:57 PM
I think it depends on how aggressive you shake the brush pile and the mood of the fish. This is why I use #4 line so if I get a jig or hook stuck I can either free it or break it off at the jig or hook. I have seen fish get active after I have shaken a brush pile a little and also seen them turn on after someone in my boat using #10 line tear it apart. It all depends on the mood of the fish and how hungry they are. EB

Eager Beaver
12-16-2010, 06:01 PM
I dont know about this topic, i dont fish brush piles but i hope none of you fellas cut your line so you dont disturb the brush. I had to get a lower unit put on my motor a few months ago b/c i got fishing line wrapped around my prop and it out out the seal causing my ooil to leak out and ruin my lower unit. If you cut your line and you are fishing in 25 fow, thats 25 feet of line just dangling in the water. You may not be the one to get the line wrapped in your prop but you also could be. just think about it is all im saying.

You always want to check your lower unit or prop after you have been on the lake. Especially if you fish brush piles and even if fishing open water. I check the trolling motor prop and big motor prop each time I get back before I got out again. EB