Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: California crappie hunter needs help

Post Thanks / Like

Question California crappie hunter needs help

Hey guys

New to this crappie hunt and i love it i also started a thread in the swap meet section i am open to try anything you vets have to offer whats the best time to go out here in cali we usually go to our secret:rolleyes: spot around 445 and they start to bite around 530 and stop at dark i just dont have it i guess but im not gonna give up any suggestions tips oh i read that some guy used cod liver oil on hair jigs might try that this weekend ill keep ya posted wish me luck and good luck to you all
    but wait there's more

Post Thanks / Like

pepp1,

I've noticed that everytime I go crappie fishing out here that the crappie bite well in the morning and late afternoon. I'm use to fishing serious structure so fishing out here was a shock. I tried my go to jigs. A 1/16oz horsehead jig tipped with a wax worm. Best colors for me are a black head and charteuse. or orange head with charteuse or white tube.. If you are fishing from the bank try a slip float and two 1/32 or 1/16 oz jigs (hair or plastic) and slowly twitch it on the way it slowly. Also, dont be afraid to use a crappie nibble or wax worm. Might get lucky and catcha few nice bluegill or redear. What lakes do you fish? I'm wanting to go some other lakes here before I get stationed out in Korea. Hope the info helps you out.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

There's a LOT of dirt between the border signs at the north and south ends of Cali. Likewise, I would think, a lot of difference in the timeing of the fishery. Where you's guys at?
    We're sorta central and are not REAL dedicated to crappie......but they DO hold quite some interest to us. ;-)
    .....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

I am located in Oxnard, but I fishing just north of Santa Maria at Lake Lopez. I have been fishing for crappie for about 6 hard years now, but grew up fishing my entire life. Where are you located at in Central California.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

North of S.F. on Hwy 101....Petaluma. LOTS of stuff to target nearby with the fresh and salt so close. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

What I would suggest is if you want to learn more about crappie fishing up in that area of the state is to take a guide and try to absorb everything you can. I heard that Clear lake is having an insane crappie bite this year. I would take a guide trip there. Watch and ask questions. If its a good guide he wont mind asnwering your questions and helping you out as much as possible. If you go to www.westernbass.com and click on Clear lake you can pick certain guides to go out with. There are a few that crappie fish too. I was going to take a rip during the holiday but couldn't get the time off. Hope this helps

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Try Ron England, that is who I was going to use.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks guys im located in the sacramento area went out to folsm lake but no luck my fishn bud took mee out to clear lake off the konocti boat launch we did ok there but the crowd was overwhlming man so many people imy buddy has a secret spot that he goes to he took me there once and as soon as we got there i had to laugh inside there were people everywhere so much for his secret spot huh but i did notice no one caught a single crappie but my buddy killd them i plan to go this weekend and try to put together a plan of attack wish i could tell you vets where the spot is but i swore Ha Ha there no suchthing as a secret spot but to keep the peace u know anyone ever fish for trout up at amador of the boat house? well gents if your going out this weekend lots of luck
    but wait there's more