Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to check motor hours?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to check motor hours?

Just curious, is there a way to check how many hours you have run on your boat motor? Some type of hour meter, or something like that under the cowling? Asking because when we bought our boat earlier this year, the dealer says we should bring it in after xx number of hours and they need to do some basic maintenance and checks.....I think we should be close to or at that number of hours but have no way to know for sure. Also, I would just like to know to satisfy my own curiosity for future maintenance needs. Thanks.
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Best of my knowledge any of the direct fuel injected models both 2 and 4 stroke (optimax, hpdi yamaha, e tech evinrude, etc) have the capability for the dealer to pull hours and operating info such as max rpm, percentage time in certain rpm ranges, maintenance / warning codes, etc. But unless you installed a hour gauge you probably can not on your own. Carbed engines, the standard EFI mercs and throttle body FI yammies aren't able to either if recall correctly.
    Last edited by kazualobzerver; 12-08-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kaz, that's kind of what I suspected but was hoping that I could check it myself. I appreciate the help.
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish