Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Loss of man's most devoted fishing buddy - Ol' Scarlet

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loss of man's most devoted fishing buddy - Ol' Scarlet

Reflecting over the past 15 years my best fish memories are with my most loyal fishing pal,... my Golden Retriever, Scarlet..... here is a write up I did....some of you may identify with a loss of your dog... Scarlet was a special kind of dog only a man can have...

Ol' Scarlet, my 15 year old Golden Retriever & best fishing buddy can't resist on getting out on the lake trying our our hand at tossing some woolly buggers. Scarlet was up early, rearing to go, even helps pick out the fly rod and loads the truck up. It is not very often I pick up the fly rod that I am able to get out the door, without taking her...

We arrived at the "Hush Hush Honey" hole, weather had a light mist, overcast, calm water and no wind. perfect day for the fly rod and man's best friend. Scralet is great in pointing me in the right direction to where the fish may be hiding, and today was no different. She a great fish finder!!!

Scarlet watches out for Swans, Geese, and ducks that might interfere with our fishing strategy. The authumn foliage was just starting to turn to its glorious colors.

Scarlet, my fish finder and guide dog put me on the fish right away. What's great about Scarlet, she is so eager to please, she doesn't talk much, so we both can enjoy the peace and solitude. She doesn't give me a hard time when I lose a fish and always happy when I hook into a fish and bring it to hand. Scarlet helps pick out the fly that we think will be the hot fly... today we tried the olive bead headed Woolly buggers in various colored hackle. Man! was this the hot fly today, could do no wrong with them...

Yellow Perch, Big Bluegills, Largemouth Bass, and stout White perch were attacking these woolly buggers with vengence. We had a Grand Slam within a half hour... We used olive, black, brown, chartruese, goldies, and gray, all were outstanding in the results they produced. Woolly Buggers were remarkable flies with non stop action. All told, we landed well over 75 fish in a couple of hours... no monsters, but all healthy specimens

After long day on the water and another memorable fishing trip with Ol' Scarlet, we call it it a day & headed back to the truck. Scarlet was plum tuckered out from fishing hard and took a well deserved snooze back to the boat launch. It was one of those fly fishing adventures that every fly fisherman dreams about...

This is what I call the Dog Days of Fishing... Good times, good fishing with a good old friend ... We stopped at McDonalds on the way home as we always have done for years... Ol' Scarlet was rewarded with her usual Cheeseburger and big cup of water... Me, a hot cup of coffee and remembering all the many past fishing trips with my old fishing buddy... she was diagnosed with cancer last fall, had to put her down...one of the hardest thing I had to do

Scarlet 1995-2010

Scarlet, my Golden Retriever, fishing buddy succumb to Cancer this week and is fishing more peaceful waters... No one could ask for a more faithful companion...will sure miss you, girl...
    Last edited by gillbuster; 12-07-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry for your loss gill! beautiful friend you had for those 15 yrs. sure you will be reminded daily of other memories with Scarlet that will bring a smile and a tear to you! nice to have a friend that has unconditional love for you.
    GET IN, SIT DOWN, HOLD ON, AND BE VEWY VEWY QUITE!!!!!

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the loss of a good friend! Know the feeling of losing a good dog and a good one is hard to replace!
    You can't finish what you don't start