Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ants in my worm bed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ants in my worm bed

I see that some ants have taken up a winter residency in my worm bed. I recall that ants cause problems in a worm bed. I am wondering how to get rid of them. I have an ant bait that attracts the ants who in turn take the bait back to the queen and feeds it to her. She dies and the rest of the ants die too. The process has worked great in the past. I can apply this bait along the rim of the freezer so the ants have to come get it. They will then take it back into the bedding wherein lies the problem. If the ants get killed off then some of the residue could kill some of the worms. Any suggestions??????

Post Thanks / Like

I use Amdro on the bed itself and seven dust around the bed. Never had any problems with this and been doing it for several years. Got my info from an old man who raises worms.
    BamaFan

There are two things to aim for in life: First, to get what you want; and after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieves the second. Author unknown, but I like it!

Post Thanks / Like

What is amdro???? How do you use it?

Post Thanks / Like

My ant gel is working.The ants are eating it and it won't be too long before they are gone

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seven dust works well in flower beds also. My worm bed is a large Tupperware tub in the garage. Might just sprinkle some dust around it even though it is a heated attached garage. Can not hurt anything.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are raising worms in large plywood bins---A neat trick I heard about is to insure the bins are not touching any walls---Must be free from any touching. Ants can get in them from the sides or top. Place each leg of the bin in coffee can / container containing oil or something similar. The ants must have to crawl into the oil to reach the worms if you have placed the bin where they can not get to it except by the means of the legs. Some will grease the legs---If anything is placed against the bins, like a rake, or pole or anything the ants can use as a road than the oil will not solve the problem.
    The Seven Dust also works---I have used it in the garden and still have worms--not sure if it would kill them---try and see.

Post Thanks / Like

Terro works really well. Available at most hardware stores and is cheap

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

ROTO VISE DEALER

Post Thanks / Like

cornmeal. kills ants. i know it will work if you got them coming into your house or kitchen so it should work on your worm bed and would be safe for the worms. it works the same as the poisons. they tote it back to their ant hill and the whole bunch feeds on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sprinkle a good amouny of ant killer around the base of the bed.
    A crappie day fishin beats working any day!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that Diatomaceous earth will kill the ants. Just sprinkle it on the bed.