Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is your setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what is your setup?

i would like to hear about your setup. how many poles are you allowed to put in the water? what lb. test do you have? what about the weight of your jigs? are you dropshoting? are you fishing with more than one hook on your line? do you use tubes or hairy jigs? if i missed anything please add to this list. thanks fishb8t.

Post Thanks / Like

Het there Fishb8t, I fish out of a stick steer Basstracker. I like to fan out a few minnow rods, (11 ft. Buck's Graphite Jig Poles), while I probe the cover a little deeper with a jig pole and a jig. I really like adding a Berkley Crappie Nibble to my jig hook also.

One other way,and probably my most enjoyable, that I like to use is to cast a jig under a cork. Just giving the cork a slight twitch or a short slow pull every few seconds.

I try to stay very open minded and try different techniques. I see so many crappie fisherman that get hung up on one way of fishing and never try anything new. When their tech. is working they do great but when it's not they usually get skunked!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

My set ups all depend on where and how I fish. Out here in California I usually use a 6'-7' spinning combo with six pound florocrabon line. I use the florocarbon line becauce the lakes here are gin clear. When I'm shoting docks I use a 5' spinning combo with 4 lb test. If I'm fishing structure visible or not I use anywhere from a 9'-11' spinning combo. 6-10 lb test. Type of line depends on water clearity. I usually use 1/16-1/4 oz jigs. I'll use a 1/32 oz jig when I'm shotting docks. Depending on where I'm at I usually go double rigged, and prodominately use plastics. Hope this helps you out and sorry for the long post.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

look at the boats behind me in the pic

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 18ft center console starcraft I normally pull 6 rods ranging from 7 ft to 12 ft and I also push at least 3 from the bow spiderrigging.
    here in Tennessee there is no limit on number of rods.
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks for the help

crappiencali thanks for telling me what weight you are using when shotting docks. that is going to come in handy this year.

slabbandit i really need to work on trying different techniques. looking back on last year i can remember staying in one spot for 2 hours and only getting 3 fish.

Post Thanks / Like

When I wanted to learn more techniques I actually watch a couple Crappie fishing videos to the the basics of a couple techniques. Then when I went out I would focus on the styles until I felt comfortable with it.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

This pic shows a little of my rig.

I currently use 8 rods. 4 - 12 ft Wally Marshals, 2 - 10 ft B&Ms and 2 - 6 ft Fenwicks. They all have Stren 8lb test, low-vis green line. Most of the time I use Charlie Brewer Slider Head jigs 1/16 - 1/8 oz in red with a black and chartruse jig if I'm using jigs or just use the Slider Head and hook a minnow on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Snatching Lips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcrack
    This pic shows a little of my rig.

I currently use 8 rods. 4 - 12 ft Wally Marshals, 2 - 10 ft B&Ms and 2 - 6 ft Fenwicks. They all have Stren 8lb test, low-vis green line. Most of the time I use Charlie Brewer Slider Head jigs 1/16 - 1/8 oz in red with a black and chartruse jig if I'm using jigs or just use the Slider Head and hook a minnow on.
    thats a good lookin set up there fatcrack. you have a set up on the back to?
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we could spider rig here in Ohio. We are only allowed 2 poles
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast