Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: looking for some rod and reel care or maintenance tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default looking for some rod and reel care or maintenance tips

I was wondering if anybody had any tips on rod and reel care. I never knew that when you're done for the day, that you need to loosen the drag on whatever type of reel you use, because drag washers will compress if left tight and ruin the adjustment till skeetbum posted it in a thread. I've always left the drag set. Skeetbum posted that he has seen some very expensive used reels for sale with a drag adjustment that goes from dead loose to dead tight in about 3/4 of a turn. I had never heard that and it made me wonder what other rod and reel care or maintenance tips I didn't know about.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Having lived around salt water most of my life I always try to keep an eye on moving parts on reels. Line rollers on the bail is one that gets a lot of exposure to the elements. If you feel comfortable dis assembling them a look inside the case will let you know if the grease is getting hard. when this happens I use a can of brake cleaner to remove the old stuff and regrease and oil wherever there are moving parts. Until you become comfortable with getting them back together and hitting all the parts it might take a time or two thru the process to get it right. If it's stiff after reassembly you've missed something and need to go back in. It's not as hard as it sounds, but some folks don't like it and need to seek out someone with knowledge to do this. If the grease is still soft then a spot of oil here and there will keep things in good shape. Over oiling draws dust and funk so don't get carried away. Under the spool is the shaft that goes up and down as the spool spins around it, a good spot for a drop of oil. Gun oil in a needle dispenser will do just fine. Hope this gives y'all somewhere to begin.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I too disassemble the reel, clean out all the dirt, grease and oil. I also strip off all the line and respool with new line. Then I check the guides on my rods for nicks, those need to be smoothed out. Clean the rod with a mild soap mix, dawn dish washing soap, and store.

Then I go through my tackle boxes and clean out the trash, take inventory, buy replacement gear, sharpen my hooks, etc.

then its time to do the same to the boat, boat motor, and trailer.

I dont do much maintenance during the season.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a season? We fish all year. Look pretty goofy sometimes but it keeps the cabin fever at bay.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't put your hooks thru the guide eyes .... put them around one of the guide feet, or (if your rod has one) in the hook retainer clip.
    Don't put your hooks into the cork/foam handles.
    Loosen the line, as well as the drag ... don't leave the line with enough tension to bend the rod tip, either.
    When you clean your reels, remember : grease the gears and oil the bearings (not the other way around). And do it "lightly" ... heavy coatings don't help.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Dadgum Midnight. Why come I gotta tell you e'rythang?

WHAT IS THE REEL MAINTENANCE VIDEO

And tell Connie and Killer that Wannabe says hello. They good folk and the video is excellent. You don't necessarily need the kit though. You can get the oils and grease from Academy or BPS if you have one local and you've probably already got the tools.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks wannabe. I would be lost without.

Post Thanks / Like

If your storage spot is cold, be sure to loosen your reel seats on all your rods. Make sure the reels wiggle on the rods. Composite reel seats and composite reel nuts will crack......due to expansion and contraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
    Thanks wannabe. I would be lost without.
    Glad you didn't say you wanted to be just like him. One's enough! lol