HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing premade kentucky rigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Storing premade kentucky rigs?

What do you guys use to keep your premade kentucky rigs from getting into a tangled mess? I was thinking of cutting little pieces of cardboard and wrapping them around that and having little "slit" to act as a line keeper.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a pool Noodle take your fillet knife cut a slit in it to hold your weight and wind the line around it and pin the tag end with a piece of toothpic cut it about 12 in. it will hold about 8 rigs each.
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy
    Thanks fltcrew21 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

X2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

the cardboard with slit is what I use
    I put 6 to a card
    seems easy and less trouble to me

Post Thanks / Like

I went ahead and used some 1.5" x 2" pieces of cardboard with slits on each side. They seemed to work pretty well. We shall see.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for calling them a Kentucky rig. The Ky rig was around long before Capps and Coleman came along. Sorry, pet peeve.
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixfin View Post
    Thank you for calling them a Kentucky rig. The Ky rig was around long before Capps and Coleman came along. Sorry, pet peeve.
    Even though some people get these 2 rigs confused. they are different...

The KY rig has the weight on the bottom with 2 or more hooks on dropper lines above the weight...

The Capps and Coleman rig has a hook on the bottom with an egg sinker above that and then another hook above the egg sinker on a dropper line....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes fltcrew21 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I just did Kentucky rigs since they looked a lot simpler. I'll probably try some Capps and Coleman rigs and compare the two for the heck of it.

Post Thanks / Like

For bottom fishing I prefer the Kentucky rig. I can see the Capps and Coleman rig being a better choice however for fishing minnows and trolling for suspended fish. That Kentucky rig will allow you to fish down into some really nasty cover and still come out of there without losing every hook.The more you fish it, the more you realize there is some technique to being able to get into cover and getting your bait back out, but it just takes some time and a little patience to perfect.As far as storing rigs, I dont store them anymore. I haved fished this type set up so much, Ive gotten pretty fast at assembly. I dont use any swivels anymore. I just run two hooks up the main line right fast, leave loose, then tie on my drop sinker with quick knot at the end. Then back to the first hook and tie a quick loop knot with a short leader and repeat 16 inches or so up the line and I'm back in business. I can do this about as quick as you can disassemble and tie on a stored up rig. This will also let you experiment with different leader lengths as to how the fishings going, and how thick your cover is. Shorter leaders seem to work well for me.About 3 to 4 inches. I do like to keep my rod in my hand though and dont use the rod holder to catch the fish as some do. I would use a longer leader if using the holder more. I certainly understand storing the rigs that use the swivels.It use to take me several minutes to tie up one of those with the 3 way swivels while in the boat.
    Last edited by GoneCrappieFishing; 12-05-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Even though some people get these 2 rigs confused. they are different...

The KY rig has the weight on the bottom with 2 or more hooks on dropper lines above the weight...

The Capps and Coleman rig has a hook on the bottom with an egg sinker above that and then another hook above the egg sinker on a dropper line....
    I don't know, but I was buying a similar rig on a cardboard stick before either Capps or Coleman was born. I guess we can split hairs on any claim to fame though.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast