Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats nice and resonable crappie reel!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whats nice and resonable crappie reel!

Hi...Ive been crappie fishing for about 4 years but i want to get a nicer reel. Im looking to spend about 100 bucks. It has to be a spinning reel and it needs to be small. Let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks
    The Crappie King of Ellendale Ave.

Post Thanks / Like

pflueger supreme 8030 $99.95 or get 2 bass pro ex10 $49.95 each
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

Any of the shimano reels will work fine for you. I have been using the cheap solstace 100s for about 11 years now with no problems what so ever. They have had miles of line reeled on them, all we throw is plastic. The drag is good also, bass in the 5# class and cats up to 12# with no problems. I will spend the money on bass reels but not for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of guys here who will tell you Shimano is the only way to go, but frankly they have dropped the ball except for one reel. The stradic Ci4. I must admit that if they incorporated some of the improvements into the new 2011 reels I may start recommending and using them again, but for now I'd suggest one of the reels below.

Pflueger Supreme Spinning Reels

Daiwa Exceler-HA Spinning Reels

Gander Mountain® > X-Factor Spinning Reels - Fishing > Reels > Spinning Reels :
    Good things come to those who bait.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

All these reels are good for the job. I have a Diawa Capricorn that has lots of bearings and is silky smooth to use. Whatever you buy, a little care helps em last a real long time. Mostly, whenever you're done for the day, loosen the drag on whatever type of reel you use. Drag washers will compress if left tight and ruin the adjustment. I've seen some very expensive reels for sale as used with a drag adjustment that goes from dead loose to dead tight in about 3/4 of a turn. For the money you plan to spend you'll get a nice reel. Handle a lot and look for sales. I think it was Cabela's had a sale a short while back that was like 40% off on several good reels. I also have a Gander Mountain guide series reel in a UL size that has given good service that didn't cost too much. I think that those are made by Phleuger or Shakespeare, but good just the same.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I also have a Gander Mountain guide series reel in a UL size that has given good service that didn't cost too much. I think that those are made by Phleuger or Shakespeare, but good just the same.
    I was just at GM and all of their branded reels are different now. I have a couple of those re-branded Presidents too. The new reels are very nice though and I would still recommend them. In particular the new top of their line X-factor reel. It's $150 and was developed to copy the Stradic Ci4. It looks like one and actually feels just as good to me, but a little different.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all i think im gonna go with the pfluger supream 8030. It looks like a really nice reel. I had a real nice pflueger and recently dropped it in a lake and never got it back. But anyway thank you all and GOOD FISHING!
    The Crappie King of Ellendale Ave.

Post Thanks / Like

over the last several and I mean several years I have used every reel I could afford to buy, and couple three years ago I got turned towards pfluger and that all I use on spinning reals. I like em.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear you Beagle. I started swapping over after getting a couple spinners from DB4D. I been getting the Okuma Stinsons. They weigh 5.9 oz. I jig as lot and like a light rig. I haveta set my pole in a pole holder more often cause it is heavier than the underspins I been using.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi...Ive been crappie fishing for about 4 years but i want to get a nicer reel. Im looking to spend about 100 bucks. It has to be a spinning reel and it needs to be small. Let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks
    I like Shimano a lot, but my last four purchases have all been Daiwas. One reel to consider is the Daiwa SS 700. It's an older model, but they keep making them 'cause people love them.

Great drag, perfect line lay, 7 oz, $95 at Bass Pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast