Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC structure ?'s

mur9978 Guest

Default PVC structure ?'s

Hey everyone, I'm new to this board but have been really impressed so far. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'll ask anyway. What's everyone's experience/opinion of pvc structure? How does it compare to the condos I've read about? Also would like to hear any unusual design ideas anyone might have. I've got a few in mind (stakebeds, trees) but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello again Mur I have used about everything but the Bamboo and am fixing to use it can you find it over your way ? I have also used plastic lawn chairs and put one leg in a bucket of cement and usuall put 3 chairs in a circle and even sometimes tie one on top the crappie like to get under the chairs I have also used a ring from the top of a plastic barrell that after a while splits and can be pulled off I also put one side in a bucket and when Iam done it looks like a big spider legged thing I also put a few sticking up I have these in FtGibson and catch fish when I fish them I mostly only use these for tournaments over there

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda figure that anything that algae will grow on will work for condos. The algae attracts minnows and the crappie are attracted to them.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hey all you crappie fisherman. I am also new to this board and I like it. I love to crappie fish and make crappie sets. Me and a buddy of mine have been making 8x8 sized stake beds out of oak slabs and they stand about 4 to 5 feet tall. They are great for making stake beds out of and hold fish very well. It takes a lot of work to cut all the slabs to the size we need but when they are done they are nice. Try to make them as lite as you can so they will sink easy. We get the oak slabs from local saw mills in our area and the cost is almost nothing just labor. We are cutting the frames out of the slabs and cutting the stakes as well and use galvanized roofing nails to nail them together. We got our idea from a local crappie fisherman who is very wise to catching crappie. This guy has almost 200 sets in the lake that we fish and he is always catching very good fish. We went to his house one day and he showed us xactly how he does it. These stake beds we are making are for the large lake in our area.
    I have also been making some of my own for some of the smaller strip pits that I fish. I found a very big area of southern IL. bamboo the other day and have started making some sets out of that. Take a card board box about the size of a concrete block and stand about 5 or 6 bamboo shoots in the box. Make them as tall as you want, mine are about 8 feet tall. put quick crete in the box secure the bamboo to keep them upright and let the concrete set up. Drop box and all in the lake and use more weight if needed. Instant crappie set very cheap and easy to make. Drop several boxes in one area and you have a good crappie stake bed.
    I also made some from pvc and used a milk jug to hold the pvc. I take the pcv and cut it about 40 inches long or as long as you want and stick as many of them thru the milk jug. When I get done with them they look kind of like the new pvc sets you can buy from Bass Pro. Just go to their web site and check them out there sets are green. After I get done with that I fill the jug with quick crete and use more weight if needed to sink them. I have about five dollars in each pvc set.The bamboo is cheaper than the pvc and it grows along side of this country road, lots of it.
    Didn't mean to ramble just wanted to share my ideas and I hope it helps.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

well I use both it depends on the area I'm planing on putting structure in.10ft boo don't work in 6ft of water but buckets with 3ft of pvc sticking out of top works great also buckets full of rocks make good stump beds, just my 2 cents
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mur9978
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this board but have been really impressed so far. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'll ask anyway. What's everyone's experience/opinion of pvc structure? How does it compare to the condos I've read about? Also would like to hear any unusual design ideas anyone might have. I've got a few in mind (stakebeds, trees) but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
    Welcome! I have used the pvc attractors from JandJHabitat.com These attractors are inexpensive and easy to use. I have had great luck with other guys not finding them on their depth finders. You can email this guy from his website, and he has answered alot of my questions about placement and what works best for different fish. Good luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mur...I'm new to the board as well...but not to fishing or making artificial structure. I have used the PVC and I like it. You can go to some extra trouble and get 45's to make the arms stick up so as not to get hung up as bad...but it ain't too bad with 'em sticking out straight. My favorite to build and use though are the bamboo attractants. I personally like to get the tops of the shoots, cut about 5 to 6 feet long and sacrete them into a one gallon plastic can...like a clorox bottle with the handle/top cut off. I put the can in a 5 gal. bucket to keep the bamboo from turning over the can plus that makes it kinda' uniform. These work good in any dept of water and are easy to transport and put out.
    He among you who is without sin...cast the first stone.

Buckshot Guest

Default Sphere

[QUOTE=mur9978]Hey everyone, I'm new to this board but have been really impressed so far. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'll ask anyway. What's everyone's experience/opinion of pvc structure? How does it compare to the condos I've read about? Also would like to hear any unusual design ideas anyone might have. I've got a few in mind (stakebeds, trees) but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.[/QUOTE=Buckshot]Best and the cheapist way to go is the sphere. You can use scrap 1/2 in pvc or buy thin wall. Color of pipe will not make any difference as long as it's 1/2 in pvc. Make 2 1/2 ft attractor using 12 in pipe- 4 ft attractor use 21 in pipe- 5 1/2 ft attractor use 30 in pipe. This works for water 3 ft deep to 25 ft deep
    and no hangs or snags. Different ways to put out, place on bottom with weight, use foam for floating attractor then pull attractor down to what ever deepth you want to suspend it using weight. Best results I have had, start shallow 4 ft, place attractors 6 ft apart, go down your slope or ledge with attractors. This is like putting up a fence, allows you structure at all deepths for any time of the year. It will hold the fish for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome buckshot, Are you buying the spheres or making them? Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Pvc Habitat

I have used pvc for the last few years, and it has worked awfully
    well for me and my family. We don't use as much weight as a lot
    of people and divers tell us our plastic is still where we put it.
    It doesn't show up on my depth finder. Our products are pretty sturdy,
    and made out of 3 inch and 1 inch pvc. they wont crack or break.
    You might want to check out our website to either buy some or make
    them yourself. If you can find free or cheap pvc that is great, if you
    have to pay for it, our prices are pretty good. I'm getting older and
    the five minutes it takes to assemble the attractor and the light weight
    thing is getting more and more appealing. www.jandjhabitat.com

Best Regards
    Chef

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast