Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: FL Panhandle Crappie

fishwalton is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FL Panhandle Crappie

Lake Talquin and Seminole are well known for crappie. Anyone here care to recommend other locations in the FL Panhandle. I'm a bream guy but want to start going after crappie if I can find some spots to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you wanna fish anywhere else if you are close to Talquin? Thats like being married to Kerri Underwood and still wantin to "play the field", lol
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Young Gun View Post
    Why would you wanna fish anywhere else if you are close to Talquin? Thats like being married to Kerri Underwood and still wantin to "play the field", lol
    Thats funny and true at the same time.Both statements.lol

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, you are right about Talquin, but it's 120 miles from where I live. I can get over there a couple time s a year but need to find spots closer to home. I fish a good bit but just now plan to get more serious about crappie. For now it will be mostly on the Choctawhatchee River where crappie live, but it's not known as a big producer.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Once you change tactics to seriously target crappie, you may be surprised where you find em. I fished small grassy lakes in Deltona for a lot of years before I found that there was a good population. Then it was ON. Drifting with minnows or long line trolling will give you an idea of the population and help locate fish, then slow down and figure out how to get em. Don't forget your markers, and the curl tails for the trolling. Crappie will hang in weedy areas and might be a little spooky of noise and boat movement, so drop a marker and back off to keep em biting.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skeetbum for the advise. I will be coming to this forum for whatever help I can get. Having been a bream guy all my life there will be a lot to learn about crappie. I have caught them when bream fishing but it's hit and miss. I can't fathom using 10 poles at once but obviously serious crappie guys have it figured out. LOL Two poles are all I can handle when on a bream bed. There is a clear water lake nearby of about 300 acres that has a good population of bass. Never heard of crappie coming from there but this will be one place I plan to check out.

Post Thanks / Like

well you will rarely get into crappie and all 10 of your rods go down. One reason we use so many is so that we have a constant bite and to find the fish. If we only trolled with one or two rods it may take a week to get a limit. Crappie are so spread out sometimes you need that many rods to cover a large area of water and to find what depth they are most active in, also it helps to have that many rods so you can try diff colors to pinpoint exactly what they want and how they want it.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Young Gun View Post
    well you will rarely get into crappie and all 10 of your rods go down. One reason we use so many is so that we have a constant bite and to find the fish. If we only trolled with one or two rods it may take a week to get a limit. Crappie are so spread out sometimes you need that many rods to cover a large area of water and to find what depth they are most active in, also it helps to have that many rods so you can try diff colors to pinpoint exactly what they want and how they want it.
    Yea...that...and it's just plain fun when theyre biting good.:D:D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Have read a good bit about crappie fishing and no doubt some have this down to a science. But, I know it takes a lot of trial and error to bring it all together. I will have to gradually expand as I do the trial and error bit. I did see a boat a few months ago on the river I fish that had maybe 6 to 8 rods sticking out all over the place. Only one guy in the boat. He was anchored but I wondered how in the world he could fish all those rods. Have never seen a boat on this river with so many poles and one guy. He said he was fishing for catfish!!! He must have known something I don't know.
    Last edited by fishwalton; 12-01-2010 at 05:31 PM.