Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best boat?

Got a question. I had a 16' flat bottom lake jon. I sold it in August thinkin i would turn right around and find me another one. We started overlayin 71 hwy and never got time to replace it. My question is i never was really liked it because it was tough to keep from just bein blown everywhere. Stockton is my home lake. Ive never owned a fiberglass boat. I have a couple teenage boys that like to fish to. Theres probably gonna be deals in the next few months which one should a guy get? Fiberglass, V-bottom, Wide lake jon?

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass boat would be much better for not blowing around in the wind. I run a Champion and love it. But that is like a Ford or Chevy kind of question. You will get lots of differant opinions on brands. The lake jihn and deep V boats will blow around a lot more than a glass bass boat style. With teenage boys a bass boat style should be fine with out having the taller sides like a deep V boat. They are nice for smaller kids when worried about them falling overboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Not any one answer that fits everyone. Jared brings up valid points and others will have good opinions as well. This is my one caveat, never buy a boat that you can't test drive it or one like it before purchasing. There are good opportunities in used boats as well as new. The market for used boats has been the strongest that I've seen in 20 years in 2010 believe it or not and I expect it to continue in 2011 as of right now. Feel free to PM me if you wish, I'm in the business and although obviously I have brand preferences but I attempt to stay objective. Too many people focus on price or the brand of boat and forget the outboard, the dealer, electronics, etc. They are an equally good or frustrating part of the program depending on your experiences. Good luck, Stockton provides special challenges but there are several "old salts" here that fish that lake and would be good sounding boards.

Post Thanks / Like

I will second the champion,have an 06 187cx and love it!This is probably the best time ever to buy a boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember the bigger the boat the better the ride, I went from a 18' to a 20' and the ride is so much better that its hard to explain. But if I was ever to tell someone what to buy, I'd say a fiberglass is the only way to go on most lakes. If your fishing rivers or small body of waters than a metal boat will work fine. Also they make big metal boats also, so its just what you want and can afford. Shop around and see what fits your style and budget.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Stockton a lot and can tell you the best in the wind will be fiberglass. You can certainly fish out of any of the boats you listed but all do not handle the wind equally well. The best will be a fiberglass bass boat that sits level in the water. I would look in the 18-20 foot range and take it to Stockton for a test run.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those Lowe wide butt boats and Bugman likes the way it handles for a metal boat. I think the best boat is one that someone else is making the payments on!

Post Thanks / Like

Stockton+wind=glass.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old aluminum v bottom and it works well for me. It really sucks in the wind. Might as well have a sail on it, it blows around that much. Wind is gonna blow anything you put on the water, but everybody is right, fiberglass bass boat handles it best. My best advice would be to find one that has everything you want. Rod storage, livewells, consoles, engine size etc. I would spend some time looking and try to maybe catch a ride in some different boats before you buy. I want a new boat or newer boat rather but don't quite know what I want yet. One thing I know for sure is I don't want someone elses headache. Ask lots of questions and do a lot of snooping around when you find the one you want. Last thing you want is to spend that $$$$ and end up with one that some a-hole has torn the crap out of. "All that's shiny isn't golden". I'd rather have a not so pretty boat that has been well maintained than a pretty one that's had the absolute piss run out of it. Good luck with hunt!:rolleyes:
    Proof is in the pictures. Top is nine and bottom is Slabbenstein!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    Stockton+wind=glass.
    +1

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast