Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for good rod and reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default looking for good rod and reel

I am new to crappie fishing and Im trying to lear as much as possible. I am looking for a rod and reel for myself and for my dad for xmas before we go to Kentucky lake this March. I have heard of b n' ms quite alot. I have a cabelas and bass pro near by so i could buy it there easily.

Any info will be appreciated thank you

Post Thanks / Like

There are many Good rods and reels out there, For reels I like a Pfluger President spinning reel or a Shakespere Dimension, both have 10 bearings and smooth drag systems. My primary rods are 11 foot B-M Bucks original graphite jig pole and 11 foot Fire Cast XI Pro Series. The two rods can be found for about 30ish dollars. The Shakespere reel is around 30ish dollars also and can be found at most Wal-Marts. It's about the only reel I will buy from Wal-Mart now days LOL. The President spinning reel will run 49-59 dollars but is worth the money IMO. Good Luck on what ever you decide to buy.
    BATES FIELD & STREAM PRO STAFF, MAYFLOWER AR
    CRAPPIEHOLIC APPERAL PRO STAFF
    If Your Big Crappie Star Bound, Let Me Warn You It's a Long Hard Ride. CP

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a lot of different rods for different tasks that you will hear of from folks as this thread progresses. One very versatile rod(I have 3 of these) is a Shakespeare Micro Graphite in 7', lite action. It casts, jigs, and I even shot a few docks with it yesterday. I know that everyone's favorite dock rod is a 5' or so, but I had it in my hand and it worked pretty good. It's available in wally for less than $20 and it's a 2 piece rod. Sportsman's Warehouse has a Diawa Sweepfire reel in sizes from 1500 up for $12. For what we do it's plenty good enough, and you can always move up from there. These days some folks have to watch the pennies and stillhave fun, this fits the bill. Good luck in your search, there's a lot to choose from. Handle a lot of them before you decide.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I like the President also. You can also get US Reel 180sx on Ebay for $50 and I'm really enjoying mine. You live by a bass pro and I think they have wally marshall rods of various lengths and applications on sale.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

I like sam heaton ultra sensetive 10 ft. and pfluger reels, I really like the feel and ease of use. good luck on your choice

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    I like sam heaton ultra sensetive 10 ft. and pfluger reels, I really like the feel and ease of use. good luck on your choice
    Mr Michael, do you mean Super Sensitive or is this a new rod?:p
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

it is a special rod made just for me, years of testing,development, two NASA trips, lots of R &D in the ultra sensetive,

now you know better than to ask me , heck I dont know but your right it is the super sensetive. I just get my words mixed up.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

it is a special rod made just for me, years of testing,development, two NASA trips, lots of R &D in the ultra sensetive,

now you know better than to ask me , heck I dont know but your right it is the super sensetive. I just get my words mixed up.
    Atta boy Beagle.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It sure feels good to get one on you..:D:D:p:p
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

In the hand of beagle man all rods are become Ultra Sensitive! It's all in the hand BOYS!!! beagle man takes a Super Sensitive rod and makes it a Ultra Sensitive. :rolleyes:

BamaMan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast