Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collarless jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Collarless jigs

I've just ordered some 1/32 jigs with no collars, in two hook sizes from a guy in Oklahoma.
    With the wire keeper I attach, I don't see the need for a barb or a collar and the bait is easier to exchange without super glue leaving a chunk of plastic on a collar. Rarely do panfish destroy a single soft plastic or hair bait, even after 30 or more have been caught.

The price was right - 50 for $5.50 and free shipping, no tax.

FrankM

(aka Senkosam)

Post Thanks / Like

can you share info on the wire keeper you attach....
    Slab Stik'r Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I'll post a pic this evening, but here's the method:

Get some plastic coated craft wire at your local Wally mart or craft store. It's green plastic coated to prevent rust and is used for floral arrangements. It's soft so you can easily wrap the eye of the jig once around, pulling it tight with needle nose pliers. You can also use shiny silvery soft wire that's used to hang pictures but it can't be too thin or thick.

With small wire cutters ,clip one end close to the eye and bend tight to the eye's shaft

Form a small L with the other wire end near the lead head. This L swings into the plastic perpendicular to it and locks it in place.

Trim the end if it sticks out too far to the other side of the plastic. The wire L will now be the perfect size for most shads and round plastic bodies.

Soft plastics will stay in place until they've caught so many fish that they get gnawed off plus the bait is totally reusable even after 15 or more fish when you want to switch plastics.

Those who sell plastics won't be too happy the more anlgers who use the L lock, but less hassle of changing soft plastics the better! Other locks on sold jigs are crap and not worth the expense. Wire is cheap - 30 yards for a few bucks and does hundreds of jigs. I even use it on my bass jigs, but instead rig the wire under the skirt collar to form the L which locks the trailer in place or wrap once around the shank between the lead head and skirt, bend back and form the L.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 11-30-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info, looking forward to your pic, and trying this method out.
    Slab Stik'r Jigs

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pbug has poured me some jigheads recently and the quality is up there with the best. Give him a try.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Who's your contact in OK?
    You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

Dee Mason
    Inola, OK 74036

macedeeace - seller on EBay

also $6 for 50 collarless round head jigs, one of two hook sizes - free shipping

If someone on crappie.com com can equal the price and include shipping, I'd be surprised.

Tonight I'll post some pictures.

FrankM

Post Thanks / Like

I need to try that set up. I use the barbed collars and they tear up my plastic when I change. I just do not like glue is why I use the barbs. I was getting my barbed 1/16 heads from a surplus on line for 3.50 per 100 and free shipping. They were just regular hooks and not sickle and the quality was not great, but they work for me. Some people may not like them but for the price I wont complain. I had to buy a lot to get free shiiping and the reduced price but it beat paying 8 to 20 dollars per 100. I would still like to see your pics of this set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default L Lock method

Name:  step 1 cut bit of wire.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  34.1 KBName:  step 2.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  35.7 KBName:  step 3 cut wire close to eye.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  64.2 KBName:  step 4 squeeze wire tight.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  26.2 KBName:  step five  bend wire into L shape.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  33.2 KB
    Likes CrappMaster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  final application showing collar and no collar.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  66.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 12-01-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast