PDA

View Full Version : How many people on this site also target other species?

Spoonminnow
11-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Many tournament bass anglers I know turn their noses up at people who target crappie, especially tourament crappie anglers. They consider bass fishing higher on the challenge list.

Why do you (we) enjoy crappie fishing as much as or more than fishing for larger species such as walleye, bass or muskie?
Do you see fishing as fishing and catching as catching regardless of what bites your lure?

As for myself, I fish for whatever is hitting and always have lures and tackle on hand for many species. Crappie tournaments are just as exciting and challenging as bass tourneys IMO and I find it amusing when diehard bass anglers can't catch panfish to save their life!:D

FrankM
(aka Senkosam)

foul hook
11-29-2010, 04:31 PM
I have been fishing sense I was 3 or 4 yrs old. I love the outdoors especially hunting and fishing. There is nothing more fun than catching a mess of Gills and Crackers when they are turned on. I chased the Green fish for years on several tournament trails in Fla. Tournament bass fishing is more work than fun. I still bass fish on an occasion especially when I find them stacked up. I am never without a bass rod (GL loomis ) . Fishing is a passion for me and my son. Unfortunately we don't get together often enough. I got heavy after the crappie after I broke my hip and femur. I don't miss an opportunity to catch a Hybrid or Striper whenever they rise. I have a 70 MPH boat that will only run 55 because of all the extra tackle. Anyone that is so wrapped up in just one species is missing out on a lot of fun. I never miss out on a opportunity to catch a fish. When it is so hot in mid summer I am catfishing at night. I fished salt water for years while living in Fla. I have caught most of the different species of salt water fish that Fla has to offer. I have caught trout and salmon in the great lakes. I have never caught a Small Mouth bass but would like too. Everyone tells me that the Spotted bass is just a spunky as the old Bornz back , but I still want one. I like to fish and cant afford to miss out on an opportunity to catch fish. Life is too short .

CatFan
11-29-2010, 04:43 PM
I fish for what's biting. If I go in March or April, I plan on Crappie from the get-go. May and June I plan on largemouth. Hot summer, catfish. If one won't bite and another will, I switch.

uglystik
11-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Being from New Jersey and having so much water I fish salt and fresh. For freshwater I go after Crappie,bass, perch, catfish and pickeral. I prefer Crappie and Bass. Salt water I go for weakfish(sea trout), flounder, bluefish, and sometimes shark. I just love to fish! I could do it every day all day and never get tired of it!

Locator79
11-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I fish for crappie, gills/ears, and catfish from time to time. I have bass tackle that never gets used, I enjoy panfishing the most, and there are tons of strategies to target them year round for me to fish for anything else.

jeepguyjames
11-29-2010, 05:17 PM
we fish the Ohio river for them big ole cats....erie for wallys and perch....and some other local spots for gills...aside from crappie...

Wannabe...
11-29-2010, 05:20 PM
I only fish for Crappie. I also don't dance with fat chicks. And even if I did, you can't prove it.

Wannabe...

olduckhunter
11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
I only fish for Crappie. I also don't dance with fat chicks. And even if I did, you can't prove it.

Wannabe...

i can. i saw you one, no make that two nights.

olduckhunter
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM
bass mainly, next is bream and then crappie but crappie are moving up as i get older and my casting wrist gets weaker. i have actually worn it out bass fishing.

fair weather
11-29-2010, 05:57 PM
walleye first, crappie second, bass third, bream fourth

wilbur
11-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I mainly fish for crappie But once in a while I like bluegill. No matter what never bass or catfish, except by accident,then they get throwed back. And also no fat chicks

"G"
11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
When I am not crappie fishing, I love to fish for bluegill and redear.

NIMROD
11-29-2010, 06:27 PM
If it swims I'll fish for it. If you don't believe it search my posts. lol lol:D

rockmike
11-29-2010, 06:53 PM
I fish for crappie, primarily, but I also fish for walleye and sauger. I also like to fish for inshore salt water fish---specks and reds.

Sky Pilot
11-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Like Nimrod, I enjoy just about all kinds of fishing. This last year I spent most of my time fly fishing for bream.

Buckeyemusky
11-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Musky any chance I can get, even in lakes where ppl tell me there aren't any I still gotta throw a couple big lures just in case. Pike and cats whenever I get the chance. Not often for bass. Try walleyes and saugeyes. I like BIG fish with teeth ;-) But a thirteen or fourteen inch crappie on my five foot ultralight is really fun too.

Special K
11-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes Lord!!! I am blessed to live just 15 minutes from Jordan Lake, Shearon Harris Lake and the Cape Fear River.
I LOVE TO FISH!!! I generally crappie fish in the Spring, Fall and Winter. In the summer months I bass fish and love to
catch the big blue catfish and flatheads, too... from time to time. I will fish for about anything for the sport of it!!
THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT FEELING BIG FISH PULL... THAT I JUST CAN'T SHAKE!!!

deathb4disco
11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
I fish for crappie, bluegill, shellcrackers, bass, trout, carp and catfish. Love saltwater fishing, too. I use both spinning and fly tackle.

FBM357
11-29-2010, 07:59 PM
When freshwater fishing, its Crappie, Gills, Perch, Catfish, Bass and Walleye (walleye if fishing the reservoir). Saltwater = Blues, Strippers, Fluke, Porgies, Seabass, Blackfish and Weakfish. Did lots of Flounder fishing many years ago, but no longer fish for em.

gabowman
11-29-2010, 08:11 PM
IMO, finding and catching a 3 lb crappie is as big a challenge as any bass fisherman looking to catch a 15 lb LM. For most people it'll never happen in a lifetime. Even though my #1 fish are crappie, I'll also fish for most anything that swims. 1-crappie. 2-striper 3-catfish 4-bream 5-carp 6-gar fish. I've never targeted ring perch or white perch before (although I catch plenty of 'em while crappie fishing:rolleyes:) but definitely not against it if the crappie aint biting. My problem is crappie bite all year long around here.:o:D

shipahoy41
11-29-2010, 08:19 PM
I fish crappies, shellcracker, bluegill, perch and white bass. My favorite is crappie.

Countryboy N.C.
11-29-2010, 08:20 PM
If it swims, I"ll fish for it, but crappie are #1.

st041986
11-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Snagging paddlefish is my favorite, but that's only a month and a half long season each spring. I'll fish for whatever is biting usually. Crappie are one of my favorite fish to eat so that's the main reason I fish for them. I also like to chase big blue cats on the river and chase black and hybrid bass in the winter time on the rivers.

Fatman
11-29-2010, 10:12 PM
I fish for everything!!!!! I'm not one to turn down a sharp tug on my line.

Hanr3
11-29-2010, 10:24 PM
I mostly fish for Crappie, and walleye. Next year Ill be doing more Walleye fishing.
When my oldest son comes along we fish for Muskie.
When the youngest comes along we fish for Bass.
Its what they like to fish for.

you want a real tug on your line, fish for Muskie. They will drag you around the lake.

RIVERRATT
11-29-2010, 10:35 PM
crappie #1 but a limit of anything is fun

slab-in-the-box
11-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Crappie is by far my favorite fish and I fish for them year round, but I enjoy catching anything that swims. I also really like fishing for those big bull bluegills during the summer. There's just something about panfish that keeps my blood pumping. If my dad's in town we'll do some bass fishing, but usually I end up talking him in to chasing crappie lol. My hometown is FL and I still fish saltwater when I go down to visit where I catch redfish, pompano, flounders, and white trout mainly.

Gator Bait
11-29-2010, 11:20 PM

You got that right!

FalconSmitty
11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
i target crappie only 99% of the time. I catch enough green carp, catfish/ stripes and bream doing that to do me. I'll fish for anything if I am with someone else. I just love fishing. But I would take a crappie over any other fish. A 3 pound crappie would make me happier than a 15 pound bass..now i'd be happy with a 24 pound large mouth.

wwwUncle
11-30-2010, 12:39 AM

Me too.

carter
11-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Any thing that bites. May not keep them but love the fight.

bugman
11-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Every time i leave the house to go fishin its for crappie but have been known to throw on a school of whites or drop a jug for a big cat.

MePreach
11-30-2010, 07:29 AM
I feel like I am in a recovery meeting and having to admit all my bad habits!...Here I Go......#1 is Crappie, but after crappie it just depends on time of year but goes like this.... Grappling catfish out from under ramps, next juggin for cats with average of 150lbs on the right day is very addictive until you clean them all, bass fishin, stripe fishin only about 2 weeks out of the year, 1 or 2 shark fishin trips a year, and now trying to get back in to Bream fishing again!.....If anyone knows of any other species I need to be targeting let me know?....wait does bowfishing for carp and gar count?...........Wow after proof reading my post I finally figured out why the stuff around my house doesn't get done...and I thought it was everybody else's fault!

Spoonminnow
11-30-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I have huge respect for deep water anglers that spot a school of fish (any species) below 30' and can get them to strike. The challenge when I was young was to watch that bobber and wait for just the right time to hook big gills so as not to lose my worm. Now, since I use most of my own hand poured or hand tied baits, the challenge is to find em, find the best lures and presentations and catch em. That's it!

I know guys who will target bass, get no bites for hours and come away with maybe a few fish. Not for me. I work all week and don't have much time or opportunity to be on the water. If I find a shallow water panfish pattern, I'm going for it. The last thing I need is casting practice on my days off. Beside, a 13" crappie with an ultra light rod and 4 lb test feels like a 20" LM on medium tackle. What more could I ask for!? :rolleyes:

FrankM
(aka Senkosam)

DonDon
11-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Love my Crappie but I'll try the Blue Gills during their spawn and I love trolling for Striped bass. NOOO, not those little dinky white bass but true and hybrid Stripers. We have a good population of them on Ross Barnett and man are they fun and taste great

STUMP HUNTER
11-30-2010, 11:22 AM
I go after crappie every trip but I do enjoy catching the other fish that bite crappie jigs and cranks.

beagle man
11-30-2010, 12:30 PM
walley second,cat fish third,blue gill,pearch, fourth,bunnies fifth,

RiceRocket
11-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Crappie , Bass and when they won't bite MUDFISH !!!!

hair jig
11-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Iv'e turned many Bass fisherman into crappie fisherman everybody is a pro in the spring when their biting 2ft of water.What happens when they vacate the banks and you have to find a pattern not much different from bass fishing and they taste alot better too. We all have our favorite species to fish for and they all require a little
different skill set fishing is fishing and we all love the challange no matter what we are targeting.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
11-30-2010, 05:39 PM
When I was a kid. I fished for anything that would bite. Still that way when I take My kids fishing. Went through the whole Bass tourney thing for a few years. Got married and had 4 kids and that put a end to that real quick. I just Love Crappie fishing and, when I take my boat out. "Crappie is all I fish for". Everyone in my family enjoys eating them, so it works out good.

SCOTTY1094
11-30-2010, 06:35 PM
I fish for anything that will make the drag scream. Take a couple trips a year to wisconsin to salmon fish. 1 trip a year to wisconsin to ice fish.

Dutch552
11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm a recovering catfisherman and now spend most of my time chasing panfish. I'll switch up species if the crappie/gill bite gets tough and can get a pattern going on catfish or bass.

hunter7711
11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Everytime I load up and head out it is for Crappie. I like the pull of whatever bites, but the only thing you will EVER find in my livewell is Crappie, everything else gets released.

yankee doodler
11-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I like 'em all...if it has fins I like to catch it, but crappie are my favorite.

midnight_f150
12-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Everytime I load up and head out it either for Crappie,bream or catfish. I like to fish for whatever is biting, but the only thing you will find in my livewell is Crappie,bream,bait and catfish. Everything else gets released

Lowellhturner
12-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Will admit, LOVE to target large crappie from deeper water (15+fow) with ultra light from shore in cover, a REAL challenge during the summer monthes. Also enjoy using a heavier pole rigged with a big ole crayfish floated up off the bottom for what ever will "GULP!" his less than happy butt on down; as others have said, am addicted to the sound of screaming drags....am seriously thinking of expanding my list of targeted species to include jet skiers that come by too fast; will have to upgrade the rods and reels to get better reach out to them, though; it will be catch and release only, of course...

Scrapper
12-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I like anything that will bite. Used to fish for bass mostly...then agrihawg and I got into crappie...WOW!!...should've been out there the first time we tried it...then the next time with him and his dad...WOW...we got SKUNKED!!! After ALOT of advice and trail and error...and a little fishing trip with Jerry Blake...we can hold our own... :) Although it helps that agrihawg, his students, Jerry, and Darryl have put out a National Park of bamboo in Greeson and Degray!!!! :D