Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: East Fork... why gold mine

Post Thanks / Like

Default East Fork... why gold mine

History of the Area
    The Little Miami River basin in which East Fork State Park and 2,160 acre lake is situated has been home to many generations of man, dating back to nearly 3,000 years ago. Moundbuilders, the Adena and Hopewell Indians, occupied this area. The mound near Elklick Road is thought to have been built by the Adena. The Erie Indians also lived here much later, though by 1655 this nation was completely destroyed by the powerful Iroquois. The area was virtually uninhabited through the remainder of the 17th century.

As the new state of Ohio began to be settled in the early 19th century, the East Fork region attracted settlers from the east. Grist mills, sawmills, blacksmith shops, tanneries and stagecoach depots were among the early commercial activities.

In 1869, two gold mines operated in the vicinity. One mine was located near Elklick and consisted of a flume for washing gravel containing flakes of gold. The mine near Twin Bridges tunnelled underground to reach gold deposits encased in bedrock.

Not far from the present park office, the "Old Bethel Church" on Elklick Road dates from 1867. It occupies the site of a log church built about 1807 by Reverend John Collins. Some of the hand-hewn timbers secured with wooden pegs and hand-forged nails used to construct the 1818 church are still present in the existing church.
    More recently, the area has taken on a new appearance due to the creation of East Fork Reservoir in 1978. As part of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers flood control program, East Fork Lake and the surrounding region comprise one of southwestern Ohio's largest recreational areas.
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting!