Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: pig and jig

Post Thanks / Like

Default pig and jig

i have heard the term pig and jig for a while and was wonderin if someone could explain what they are and how they are used.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...h-results1.jsp

I've really only heard of them for bassin'. CEB -

Post Thanks / Like

sorry i about that i was refering to using them i bass fishing and even thought this is a crappie site and all i figured someone could help. thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Pig and jig refers to a jig with a pork trail'r. The pork use to be used more than anything, but now there is all kinds of trail'rs. Trail'rs are simply anything added to the hook, It can be a number of things from an extra hook to something to give a little more action. In the case of the "pig and jig" the jig is meant to imitate a craw fish( cray fish, crawl dad, etc..) and the trail'r is meant to imitate the action of the pinchers. "Jig and pig" is mainly for bass, but a variety of fish feed on these crustations, including crappie.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Another advantage to using a pork trailer is that it will slow the sink rate of the jig, and just like crappie, bass will hit a slow sinker.

Post Thanks / Like

Stumpbumpers is right about crappie hitting jig and pigs. I visited my brother in Kansas last spring and he took me to a nuclear plant lake called Wolf Creek. We were mainly bass fishing but started catching crappie off the rocks on blue bitsey bugs with blue trailers. That lake has the largest average crappie size that I have ever caught. The problem is you are only allowed to keep 2 and they have to be over 14". I kept one 18" and one 17 1/2". We caught a lot of bass, crappie, and walleye, but it just about made me sick having to throw back dozens of 13"-17" crappie. It's seems to be a great lake to fish if it isn't too windy, the fishing regs are pretty strange but it's a great lake for big fish.