Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best 4'6" to 5' rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whats the best 4'6" to 5' rod.

I broke 2 rods Wednesday morning dock shooting taped one on a dock and the other hung jig and broke they were the Cherrywood by Berkley love the rods but it get expense at two a day at $25:00 each. Cub48

Post Thanks / Like

I like the BPS 4'6" micro lites. On sale now for $34.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cub48 View Post
    ... but it get expense at two a day at $25:00 each. Cub48
    The best rods have "GLoomis" stamped on them, but if you're balking at $25, Loomis is not an option. :D

I agree with rdant that the Microlite is a good one to consider. Another one to look at is the Shimano Voltaeus. I recently saw this at Bass Pro and was impressed. It's very strong and is intended to compete with the Ugly Stik. Is it as strong as the Ugly? I can't say. However, it is FAR lighter than the Ugly and very well-balanced. The rod has good backbone and a very light tip. Seems like it would be ideal for dock shooting. Bass Pro has them for $40, but you might be able to pick one up elsewhere for a little less.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a couple of Cherrywoods. I broke the tips on them and switched to Berkley Lighting Rods. I have a 5' that I use at Weiss for dock shooting. These rods are a quite a few years old and I've never had a problem. To be honest, I'm not even sure if they still make them.

Post Thanks / Like

acadamy has b&m sharpshooters for $24.95 they are made for shootin docks
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like St Croix, but at $80 a rod there not cheap. My cheap rods are Berkley Lightning Rods IM6 @ $40 each.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Berkeley Cherrywood 5' is still the rod I use for most of my fishing. They are light weight, sensitive, and are very well balanced. I have several different reels on them and enjoy all of the combinations. Since I have been using them I have never had one break because of the rod. It has always been my carelessness that the rod broke. Don't blame the rod if you break them, and you can't beat the price, especially if you break very many. I just bought 5 more last week, along with 3 shakespeare reels for them. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a couple of shakespeare 5' rods that I found at the flea market. They were $15 each and I wish I had some more. They're light and have the right action for a bunch of different techniques. The Lightning Rods are good rods and I've had several over the years with no complaints. Point being; try a bunch of different rods and don't fuss over a couple of bucks. You'll have a good rod for a long time. There's a lot to choose from.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

gloomis!! if you got the doe...and microlight if you just wanna have fun! aha but i got a micro...its ok...no fuji holes ...good reel...for the price...not to shabby.. but gloomis... is the cream of the crop...i say...i'd get gloomis for bragging rights...but any rod will do for crappie ...cause casting should not really be a main point in crappie fishing...just make sure its ultra light to light action and you should do good...reason why if you do ultra light is for better jigging i thinking ...and plus when you get a 10incher ..it feels like you've got a 25in striper on ur line aha thats just me but good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Grab as many of these as you can afford. It's a really well built rod with the perfect blank for shooting. IM6 rod blanks are old tech but this particular blank is sensative and tougher than higher modulus blanks. Perfect for dock shooting or any other crappie fishing, and at $50 bucks off it's an awesome deal. An $80 rod for $30 bucks.

Cabela's: Cabela's Fish Eagle® II Spinning Rods - '08
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast