Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new crappie fisherman needs help

Post Thanks / Like

Default new crappie fisherman needs help

I am new to the crappie fishing world, i have always fly fished for trout. Me and a friend are going to norfork lake over new years and any tips would be appreciated.Just bought a new used boat also so am learning at that as i go. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hire a guide....I have never considered norfork a crappie destination, that lake is huge, clear, and deep. Ask on the Arkansas board for specific information. Good luck!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Read everything you can, and practice whenever you can and check in here steadily. Much knowledge imparted here; welcome to Crappie College!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Middle Tennessee. Pick up some 1/16th oz jigheads and some Panfish assassin tiny shad bodies or tubes in several different colors and that will get you off the ground. Look for crappie on bottom structure or changes, like chunk rock to gravel, and also in treetops that have fallen into deep water. Patience is your best friend and keep in mind this may be a whole new style of fishing and there's lots to learn. Crappie will hit a seemingly motionless jig as well as a curl tail on a steady retrieve at different times. Try everything you can think of, and when you cast and let the jig fall, count it down. you'll find that most hits will come pretty close to one another. Ask all the questions you can come up with, there's no dumb ones. We all asked them.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Welcome from Middle Tennessee. Pick up some 1/16th oz jigheads and some Panfish assassin tiny shad bodies or tubes in several different colors and that will get you off the ground. Look for crappie on bottom structure or changes, like chunk rock to gravel, and also in treetops that have fallen into deep water. Patience is your best friend and keep in mind this may be a whole new style of fishing and there's lots to learn. Crappie will hit a seemingly motionless jig as well as a curl tail on a steady retrieve at different times. Try everything you can think of, and when you cast and let the jig fall, count it down. you'll find that most hits will come pretty close to one another. Ask all the questions you can come up with, there's no dumb ones. We all asked them.

Good advise
    Retrive slowly, slowly, slowly,
    Keep a tight line, be super sensitive to the line, because crappie are inhalers and you wont know you had a bite
    Dont jerk the line, when you have one.........crappie are called "paper mouths"
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Hire a guide....I have never considered norfork a crappie destination, that lake is huge, clear, and deep. Ask on the Arkansas board for specific information. Good luck!
    X2 Best advice you will ever get is to hire a guide for the first day, not only to find where, how deep, & what fish are biting on-and new boat on new water spells Trouble with a capital T. One day with guide will also help you enjoy your whole stay thereas you will learn where to boat without tearing up boat &/or getting lost. Also what U will spend for a guide is a lot less $$$ then what a new lower unit gonna cost you, not to mention putting the boat into the rocks. Just my one cent worth as I would like to live to fish another day........
    Last edited by jaxsprat; 11-27-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: cause I can
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

If I am going to fish a lake I have never fished I will troll the lake using Kalin's Triple Threat Grubs 2" size until I locate some fish!!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowellhturner View Post
    Read everything you can, and practice whenever you can and check in here steadily. Much knowledge imparted here; welcome to Crappie College!
    X2. Welcome from Alabama. On your first few trips go out with a local who has been there and done that. Ask at the bait shops. Check the state boards here on c.c.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice, just avoid ANY guide named"Skipper" with a deck hand named "Gilligan" and/ or a boat called the "SS minnow"; and as far as taking any 3 hr tours with said "crew".....with a RECOMMENDED local guide you will learn alot about the lake. Good luck and let us know how it goes, sir!

Post Thanks / Like

that sounds like very good advise im almost thinking i should have stuck with flyfishing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast