Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't catch them sittin' on the couch!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't catch them sittin' on the couch!

Went out today in the snow and 30ish temps. Fished Herrington Lake from around 11am till 2pm, ended up with 27 real nice fish. Caught them all on white jigs and bass assassin's. My wife says I'm crazy for fishing in the snow but hey we don't catch anything staying at home. Surface temps are around 43 and these were caught around 10-12' suspened in creek channels. BTW the M.D. can is for size comparison, I didn't catch him!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch. I know what you fell like we went yesterday an caught 16 in the mix of snow and rain. COLD but like you said can't catch them on the couch

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Good looking catch ... I bet I know what you will have for supper !!!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you guys caught you a mess of fish. Fishing those temps you certainly deserved everyone you caught! :D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

good enuff - good to be tuff
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Fred ....

Quote Originally Posted by Fred in Ky
    Went out today in the snow and 30ish temps. Fished Herrington Lake from around 11am till 2pm, ended up with 27 real nice fish. Caught them all on white jigs and bass assassin's. My wife says I'm crazy for fishing in the snow but hey we don't catch anything staying at home. Surface temps are around 43 and these were caught around 10-12' suspened in creek channels. BTW the M.D. can is for size comparison, I didn't catch him!!

Thanks for the info. I've caught some really good Crappie from Herrington - started my "fishing career" there (late 50's). Glad to see there are some good sized Black Crappie in your mess ... never really knew there was much of a Black Crappie population in there - mostly always caught White Crappie.

Which creek(s) were you in ?? I always fished Red Gate & McKetchnie Branch ... but, caught the biggest ones that I've ever caught from there, off a Oak tree hanging into the water on a cliff wall (just up from Mile Stretch - towards Kennedy Bridge). Got lots of nice 2lb fish off that tree, before it washed away. I pretty much "learned" & started Vertical Casting, way back then (even though I didn't really put a "name" to it, then) :D The "methods" of Vertical Casting & just plain 'ol casting a marabou jig for Crappie, was taught to me by a gentleman by the name of Jim Lear (retired postman, used to work on Kamp Kennedy Dock, now deceased).
    Thanks for reaffirming that it can produce some good quality Crappie ... I may have to start hitting it more often !!

NOTE: to anyone reading this, and unfamiliar with Herrington Lake (here in Central KY) - this lake is a dammed up river (Dix River) that runs thru a limestone canyon. It used to be a class 2 or 3 rapids river. It's a narrow, and very deep lake - with some depths reaching over 220ft. Some banks, you can step off into 80-100ft of water It's usually stained a heavy green color ... but can get pretty clear, at times. The water level can fluctuate quite a bit, too ... the water itself is owned by the power company that runs the power plant at the dam - they use the water to cool the coal fired turbines. It can raise or drop 20-30ft pretty quickly. Fishing it can be a lesson in frustration & humility on one trip, and a fish catching bonanza the next :D Below its dam, the Dix river runs wild til it empties into the KY River. That stretch is renouned for some excellent Trout fishing (though there are no Trout in the lake, itself). Just a little FYI, that I thought some of you might be interested in. When "it's ON" at Herrington ... it can be something to behold - and when it "isn't" ... it earns its nickname "The Dead Sea". ................ cp

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Little Article Crappiepappy ---seems Like A Lot Of The Lakes I Fish [are The Dead Sea] Hehehe
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I know why your wife thinks you are crazy fishing IN THE SNOW.. I would go to the water. But you caught some so ya never know..:D Just hoisting your anchor..
    This is my favorite time of year. Days getting longer. Crappie know it is about time to spawn. Those big ole females are swelling up with roe. The males are starting to fatten up before the spawn. The hunters haven't came back to the lake yet and the part time crappie fisherperson rods are still in the closet. Do you notice how much more wildlife you see around the lake with snow covered land.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Thread. Think I'll get rigged up and go.:D
    FIN

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

crappie look so beautiful in the snow
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast