PDA

View Full Version : Can't catch them sittin' on the couch!

Fred in Ky
02-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Went out today in the snow and 30ish temps. Fished Herrington Lake from around 11am till 2pm, ended up with 27 real nice fish. Caught them all on white jigs and bass assassin's. My wife says I'm crazy for fishing in the snow but hey we don't catch anything staying at home. Surface temps are around 43 and these were caught around 10-12' suspened in creek channels. BTW the M.D. can is for size comparison, I didn't catch him!! ;)

FIREHELMENT
02-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Nice catch. I know what you fell like we went yesterday an caught 16 in the mix of snow and rain. COLD but like you said can't catch them on the couch

ky-slabseeker
02-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Good looking catch ... I bet I know what you will have for supper !!!

gabowman
02-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Glad to hear you guys caught you a mess of fish. Fishing those temps you certainly deserved everyone you caught! :D

crap-king
02-12-2006, 05:34 PM
good enuff - good to be tuff

CrappiePappy
02-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Went out today in the snow and 30ish temps. Fished Herrington Lake from around 11am till 2pm, ended up with 27 real nice fish. Caught them all on white jigs and bass assassin's. My wife says I'm crazy for fishing in the snow but hey we don't catch anything staying at home. Surface temps are around 43 and these were caught around 10-12' suspened in creek channels. BTW the M.D. can is for size comparison, I didn't catch him!! ;)

Thanks for the info. I've caught some really good Crappie from Herrington - started my "fishing career" there (late 50's). Glad to see there are some good sized Black Crappie in your mess ... never really knew there was much of a Black Crappie population in there - mostly always caught White Crappie.

Which creek(s) were you in ?? I always fished Red Gate & McKetchnie Branch ... but, caught the biggest ones that I've ever caught from there, off a Oak tree hanging into the water on a cliff wall (just up from Mile Stretch - towards Kennedy Bridge). Got lots of nice 2lb fish off that tree, before it washed away. I pretty much "learned" & started Vertical Casting, way back then (even though I didn't really put a "name" to it, then) :D The "methods" of Vertical Casting & just plain 'ol casting a marabou jig for Crappie, was taught to me by a gentleman by the name of Jim Lear (retired postman, used to work on Kamp Kennedy Dock, now deceased).
Thanks for reaffirming that it can produce some good quality Crappie ... I may have to start hitting it more often !!

NOTE: to anyone reading this, and unfamiliar with Herrington Lake (here in Central KY) - this lake is a dammed up river (Dix River) that runs thru a limestone canyon. It used to be a class 2 or 3 rapids river. It's a narrow, and very deep lake - with some depths reaching over 220ft. Some banks, you can step off into 80-100ft of water :eek: It's usually stained a heavy green color ... but can get pretty clear, at times. The water level can fluctuate quite a bit, too ... the water itself is owned by the power company that runs the power plant at the dam - they use the water to cool the coal fired turbines. It can raise or drop 20-30ft pretty quickly. Fishing it can be a lesson in frustration & humility on one trip, and a fish catching bonanza the next :D Below its dam, the Dix river runs wild til it empties into the KY River. That stretch is renouned for some excellent Trout fishing (though there are no Trout in the lake, itself). Just a little FYI, that I thought some of you might be interested in. When "it's ON" at Herrington ... it can be something to behold - and when it "isn't" ... it earns its nickname "The Dead Sea". ................ cp :cool:

frank lawhead
02-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Interesting Little Article Crappiepappy ---seems Like A Lot Of The Lakes I Fish [are The Dead Sea] Hehehe

FalconSmitty
02-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I know why your wife thinks you are crazy fishing IN THE SNOW.. I would go to the water. But you caught some so ya never know..:D Just hoisting your anchor..
This is my favorite time of year. Days getting longer. Crappie know it is about time to spawn. Those big ole females are swelling up with roe. The males are starting to fatten up before the spawn. The hunters haven't came back to the lake yet and the part time crappie fisherperson rods are still in the closet. Do you notice how much more wildlife you see around the lake with snow covered land.

FIN
02-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Nice Thread. Think I'll get rigged up and go.:D
FIN

barrelslime
02-13-2006, 03:53 PM
crappie look so beautiful in the snow

speedy
02-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Those are not crappie. Everybody knows you can't catch crappie until the dogwood trees bloom.... Hee...Hee. :p :rolleyes:

stickum
02-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Congrats....Nice catch!! Hey tell your wife just be glad ya was'nt in a questionable joint somewhere. "LOL"

Fred in Ky
02-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Congrats....Nice catch!! Hey tell your wife just be glad ya was'nt in a questionable joint somewhere. "LOL"

Thanks guys. I am like most folks that come here. I LOVE to fish for Crappie. I try to stay on them year round. My wife knows that I could be alot of places but she KNOWS where I am. I told her when we meet that I was a fisherman. She said "Yeah, well that is good, my dad fishes". I explained that I fished more than I probally should but she would never have to worry about me drinking, staying out late in a bar, or cheating. So far after 13yrs we have never had a "problem" with it. Every now and then she makes a comment about my fishing and I know it is time to slack up for a weekend and spend time with her. She goes fishing with me ever so often but it is more like a pinic on the water. I like those days also. Here is a picture of me cleaning the ice out of my rod guides a couple of years ago.

stickum
02-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys. I am like most folks that come here. I LOVE to fish for Crappie. I try to stay on them year round. My wife knows that I could be alot of places but she KNOWS where I am. I told her when we meet that I was a fisherman. She said "Yeah, well that is good, my dad fishes". I explained that I fished more than I probally should but she would never have to worry about me drinking, staying out late in a bar, or cheating. So far after 13yrs we have never had a "problem" with it. Every now and then she makes a comment about my fishing and I know it is time to slack up for a weekend and spend time with her. She goes fishing with me ever so often but it is more like a pinic on the water. I like those days also. Here is a picture of me cleaning the ice out of my rod guides a couple of years ago.

I know exactly what you mean Fred ;) I been married to the same woman for almost 21 years and she knows that when I say I'm goin fishing, thats where i'll be. It's great to have someone that understands my passion for fishing and hunting and knows that I will be there "if" she needs me. :D
Keep them hooks in the water!! Good Luck to ya!

Chris Schulz
02-14-2006, 01:01 AM
30 degrees???? We are supposed to have a high of -1 on Wed, -5 on Friday, and -10 on sunday!!!! All of my eye's on my rods freeze up all the time here!
I always love to see a catch of Craps in the snow. Now all you need is a little ice on the lake;)

Tommy
02-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Good looking bunch of fish there Fred. Nice not to have to worry about putting them on ice too. Gonefishin and I hit it in 25 degree weather yesterday morning. Didn't have to worry about putting us on ice either after that 3 miles boat run. LOL

CrappiePappy
02-14-2006, 07:31 AM
can be prevented by spraying Real Magic on the tip eye/guides/line ;) (or so it's been advertised) ...... cp :cool: