Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smells like fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smells like fish

Anybody know what will get the fish smell out of a deep freeze? Mine stopped working last week, and didn't know it until it started to stink. Lost some deer, bait, and about 40 bags of crappie and gills. I have the freezer back working again, but it STINKS. I've set it out in the sun and bleached it three times, used lemon juice, coffee grounds, onions, different cleaners, and everything else I could google, with no luck. I hate to get rid of it, but running out of ideas.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

We had good luck using a large bottle of hand sanitizer on one, 79. We did 1 small area at a time with rolls of paper towels, and gobs of sanitizer. Pour it on or slap it on an area real thick, give it a few seconds, wipe away and throw towel.
    Once we had it down to barely detectable we made a paste of baking soda & water, applied it, washed and wiped the unit out. Let it stand open for another week. Think ol lady gave it one last wipe out with the orange stuff (hand cleaner) with citronella in it and freezer was 100% good to go.
    Are you dead sure that when juices collected when thawing there is no hairline crack in the liner where crap coulda seeped underneath and be on cabinet? Good luck.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Not positive but nothing in visible. I've tried the baking soda thing too. But I'll give your other suggestions a try, at this point, I'll try anything before I toss it. Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that locator.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a chest or upright? If it's an upright liquid could have gotten behind the rubber gasket or even leaked into the space in the door containing insulation. You may have to take the door apart and replace the insulation.

Post Thanks / Like

more than likely the smeel is coming from teh retaining pan under the unit. All units should have a drain hole when it defrosts, that runs to a pan under the unit. Pull hte pan and clean it too.
    The other thing is you may have to pull the cover over the cooling coils, if liquid got in there too, it needs to be cleaned.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a 10% bleach solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys, taking it apart here in a few

Post Thanks / Like

Lot's and lot's of old newspaper wadded up into balls. Don't laugh, I have seen it work.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

bag of charcoal, 1 cup of amonia, close door leave outside couple days. put the cup of amonia next to the charcoal not pored on same, worked for me, but I caught mine early, good luck