Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: drift sock

Post Thanks / Like

Question drift sock

went out today in the wind it was blowing 15 mph and gusting to 25mph, do any of you use drift socks? i just had the hardest time keeping the boat strieght and slow. in to the wind was not much problem but i like to make multiple passes along the same area. i have a 14 foot jon boat and i want to make sure i get the right size. even when i troll in light wind i have a hard time keeping the speed down. i figure a sock just behing the boat will help slow my troll down without getting on and off the trl motor.

by the way, no crappie today but a few very fattttttttt bass. water on my lake is 43 and was snowing most of the time.but nobody else out there to see me sinking my condos

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Roger on the Socks

I use Drift socks. I have 3, 2 for up to an 18" boat & 1 small for up to a 14 ' boat. I can use 1 at a time or a combination of any 2 to get my speed right. If the wind's blow'n so hard I feel like I need to put all 3 out I should be home anyway!
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Crappieday -

Since you are using a 14' jon boat, you're best bet may be a chain. Attach enough nylon rope to reach the bottom of the lakes you usually fish. Use about 2 or 3 feet of 1" or 2" chain. The length of the chain and the size of the chain determine how much drag you get. Also, on less windy days you can just let the tip of the chain drag; or on very windy days, you can let the entire chain drag. The amount of chain you have draggin the bottom determines how slow you will move. This provides a quick, easy, and cheap solution for a small boat. You can also vary the speed more easily than with a sock. CEB -

Post Thanks / Like

I think the sock is the way to go. The chain idea probably works, but I have to wonder how much bottom grass it destroys. Possibly none.

Post Thanks / Like

well we dont have bottom grass oon this lake, mostly rocks and man made structure, will the chain get stuck on the rocks or brush piles?. i would hate to destroy my crappie condos. i have heard of peaple using the chain but they were in the river.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift sock

Quote Originally Posted by crappieday
    went out today in the wind it was blowing 15 mph and gusting to 25mph, do any of you use drift socks? i just had the hardest time keeping the boat strieght and slow. in to the wind was not much problem but i like to make multiple passes along the same area. i have a 14 foot jon boat and i want to make sure i get the right size. even when i troll in light wind i have a hard time keeping the speed down. i figure a sock just behing the boat will help slow my troll down without getting on and off the trl motor.

by the way, no crappie today but a few very fattttttttt bass. water on my lake is 43 and was snowing most of the time.but nobody else out there to see me sinking my condos
    Get the largest one recommended for your boat..

Post Thanks / Like

a 5 gallon bucket tied to dock line works just fine too.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a drift sock works great ,when the break out of the channels here
    I will use it.