Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a garage...need advise from those who are familiar with capentry...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Building a garage...need advise from those who are familiar with capentry...

Poured the floor last week and getting ready to purchase materials for wood building. Building will be 36 x 42, 10 ft walls. Lumber yard guy is having them built and I asked for an "attic trust". Can I get by with the bottom board (the board that runs the distance of the building (36 ft) being 6 ft? Concerned about it sagging especially if I put some weight in the "attic" area. Was planning on going with 24" centers but now thinking about 16". Don't want overkill but would rather get the bottom board an 8 or even a 10 if need be. Have a friend that told me tonight that he had to beef up his because it was sagging and his building is 24 ft wide.... he's running is 2 x 6's. Roof pitch will be 6 x 12. With 14 x 42 area in the attic, I could possibly in time get to crazy with storing stuff and end up with a lot of weight. Any thoughts?
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

When you say "attic trust", do you mean to say truss? 36' is a big span for no center supports at all. You'll most likely have to have a center support beam, or a couple of glue Lams above the ceiling. I'm not a framer but if you go 36' wide along with wanting attic space, you'll have to go with beams of some sort. Trusses would take up too much attic space. I would highly recommend a pressure treated base plate to help keep termites and rotting from occurring. Good luck.

Also, if you want attic storage area, your ceiling joists should be 2 x 10's at a minimum, I would use 2 x 12's though. The reason your buddies is sagging is because he used 2 x 6's, not too smart.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get your truss made at a shop they will figure your load rate,Mine are 30 ft' made of 2x4 on 4 ft centers but are not load bering atic, If you are useing vinal sidding get end truss for your out side on each end. I have 2x4 stingers on top on 16 in for my metal roof.
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

I just called the lumber yard and they said that it should be at least a 2 x 10. I do have a blueprint showing everything but it doesn't show the width of the bottom cord. Will find out Monday for sure. Thanks for the input.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

we did a span of 60 ft. with truss at 4 ft. a good truss will have the load figered in i think reaper toke a look ????????? if you use sum commen sence and put your load at the ends and little in the center you should be fine check county building codes if you have any
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure who it is youve talked with at the lumber yard but I'd consult a framing carpenter if it were me. I'm merely guessing but if I were planning much storage overhead I'd go on 16" centers and "plan" ceiling support beams inside the carport. Then you shouldnt ever had problems.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Our garage is only 28' and also has storage above because we have a 10/12 roof pitch and you can't have too much storage,lol.

We used 2x12 at 16" o/c and for our beam they suggested steel or laminated and we chose the laminated. I am at work but I am certain there are 3 that are glued/bolted and each is 2"x16"(or 18") x28' and then we finished with drywall. It has been 10yrs and no problems since.

One of the smartest things we did when we built the house was to use the spray foam insulation as a 1" skim coat in the crawl,rim joists,exterior walls and attic because it adds a ton of strength/rigidity not to mention it seals and keeps bugs/mice out.

Good luck.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

you are not far from reaper have him come up to tell you how what and were super nice guy and knowes his trade
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad you brought this up about a garage. My question is a little different. I bought some land and want to put a garage on it. I do not really want the added expense of an attic or storage. I would just like a basic vinyl siding garage with a roll up door on each end and a pouored floor. About a 24 wide by 30 long. Any idea what a price might be for something like that?

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is 30 x36 8 ft tall I did it all but the vinyl in 2002 and it cost 10000 total
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast