Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about sinking condos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about sinking condos

I've built some condos this week, copied after some I've seen here on Crappie. com. Thanks for the ideas. Was wondering when I sink them will the wood have enough bouyancy to keep them upright or should I attach an empty plastic bottle to the top to help it stay upright? Thanks for any advice y'all can give me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Them look great are they made out of hardwood?? I think they will sink and stay straight up If I was sinking them I would be looking for a ledge or creek channel drop to sink them near

Post Thanks / Like

LA -

I have seen this tip somewhere else, but here goes. If you take some rebar and angle it out of the bottom of the buckets, it might help them stay up. Angle the rebar out of the bottom to make it look like the bucket is sitting on a prong. The rebar will sink into the bottom of the lake/river and hold it in place.

However, if you sink these in a lake with no current, they shouldn't give you a problem with standing up. The concrete in the bucket should keep them upright.
    Last edited by ceb; 02-11-2006 at 10:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you get them so wide at the top the ones I have built arent that open.

Post Thanks / Like

I used six ft. oak sticks and put the leaning sticks in first, then filled in the rest any where I could find an opening, then filled with concrete. I going to be putting these in lakes so no problem with current. Thanks for the advice.

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

in the waters i fish i've found it best to have them top out between 8-10 ft, and the way our lakes (corp of en.)go up and down this means havin them in different depths. best places are the edge of flats that crappie use when feedin...find the sharpest drop into the deepest water in area..place them on the flat closest to drop (lip). hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing
    How do you get them so wide at the top the ones I have built arent that open.
    The longer the boards the wider they'll spread at the top.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those look great. You may have to add more weight to get them to the bottom and keep them there. Another way you may keep them from laying over is put rebar in the bottom of the bucket in a cross pattern sticking out however long you want. The rebar will keep the bucket from tipping over when it gets to the bottom. Just a thought and I would like to fish those bet they will work very well.

Scott.
    IL board Moderator