Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: microwave melting

Post Thanks / Like

Default microwave melting

got a question.is there any issues with glitter in plastic when you cook it in the microwave?the microwave i will be using is an old one not being used for food my dad picked up at a yardsale.

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bxn View Post
    got a question.is there any issues with glitter in plastic when you cook it in the microwave?the microwave i will be using is an old one not being used for food my dad picked up at a yardsale.
    make sure when you use glitter that it is not metal . I suggest that you buy it from where you buys the plastic supplies you will not have any trouble with the microwave it should work fine for you. So microwave have low wattage which I like the best some are high in if it is a high wattage be careful you can burn your plastic very carefully.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Polyflake is made from aluminum and you will have july 4th going on, not all plastic flake (dollar store stuff)will work and reds and purples bleed quickly

Post Thanks / Like

some brands of glitter will not do so well if you heat them a little too much,

Post Thanks / Like

some of my plastics i won't be able to remelt in the microwave because last time i did some pouring i added metal flakes and cooked up on a hotplate.i hope the microwave way is quicker.i did order some orange glitter when i ordered more liquid plastic and i spose it will be safe to use,as well as the black kind i ordered the first time i ordered liquid plastic.thanks for the answers friends!

Post Thanks / Like

I just had a long thread over on TU about This subject exactly. I have been using a micro to heat plastic for more than a year and only had one issue with sparks. I purchased some flake to replace another. It started sparking the first time I used it. The sparks put little chips in my pyrex. The discussion ended up being a microwave tutorial. I guess it has little to do with being metal but more to do with reflectability of the flake. Del posted that all of his flake except the holi was matal(aluminium) and had been for ten years. But offered up some advise and one thing that stood out for me was if you let the flake settle to the bottom and micro again the chances of a spark increase. The site where I got the glitter also sells plastic so not sure if it was just my machine but when I ordered from the old supplier the sparking stopped. So it could happen but you will just have to try it out and see. I think by the words used at Lure craft theres is poly and MF says theres is poly. From what Del himself says his is metal. Lust a little info from someone that has had sparks and no sparks. Frank

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had an issue with sparks before and I am glad.

Post Thanks / Like

A few observations:
    glitter shrinks and the color fades after many reheats; poly flakes with heat tolerances of over 350 degrees should not have a problem for up to 2 reheats. Flakes usually suspend, but stirring is still necessary.

You'll get a feel for how powerful the old unit is when heating a cup of new plastic. Gradual heating is better IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know.
    NightProwler